We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lewisia seedling success  (Read 12962 times)

maggiepie

Re: Lewisia cotyledon success
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 02:07:38 PM »
Helen, what Lesley described is the general norm for perennials - blooming in "the second year" (i.e. after one "dormant" period).

Lori, Just off the top of my head I can think of some perennials that will flower first season from seed, including some delphiniums, hardy geraniums and poppies. ;)
Helen Poirier , Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 08:46:05 PM »
I don't think Lewisias in general need a "dormant" period before flowering, it's just a matter of having enough time to grow to the right size. I'd be surprised if they flowered in spring if sown the immediately preceeding winter but I never sow anything in winter and never under lights, so you'd have to try to see.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 09:57:40 PM »
I got some lewisia cotyledon seed from the SRGC seedex in January 2008, it germinated immediately outside (mild Winter here of course) and one or two flowered at the end of August 2008.

I got around 80 plants, so those that flowered were quite rare.

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 08:42:50 AM »
I got some lewisia cotyledon seed from the SRGC seedex in January 2008, it germinated immediately outside (mild Winter here of course) and one or two flowered at the end of August 2008.

I got around 80 plants, so those that flowered were quite rare.

I have exactly the same experience with sown Lewisia cot...
sown in January - germinated in March/April - potted on in May/early June - some (few) will flower in September, but the lot surely the following Spring !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

maggiepie

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 10:47:23 AM »
I don't think Lewisias in general need a "dormant" period before flowering, it's just a matter of having enough time to grow to the right size. I'd be surprised if they flowered in spring if sown the immediately preceeding winter but I never sow anything in winter and never under lights, so you'd have to try to see.

Lesley, I fiddle with seeds indoors all winter, is lots of fun and helps make the long winter more bearable.
After seeing David and Luc's comments I think I will look for some seed in this year's seed exchange, one more new plant to try  ;)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 10:53:34 AM »
You won't regret it Helen !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

maggiepie

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »
You won't regret it Helen !!

I just need to remember, Luc.
Think it might be a good idea to start a list now .

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 08:54:47 PM »
Yes, Helen, one can always find a exceptions to generalities, depending also on when the seeds were started.  (To my mild disappointment, I've also had the odd one go the other way, taking 3 or 4 years to bloom from seed... yikes!)  I imagine the main factor is that the season outdoors - here, at least- is much shorter than for many of the other posters on this forum... when I start perennials indoors in Jan-Mar, then move them outdoors for planting, I don't get many at all that bloom in the first year, oh well.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 10:08:31 PM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

maggiepie

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 09:51:19 PM »
here, at least- is much shorter for many of the other posters on this forum...

Am starting to think your season is longer than mine  :'( :'( :'(
Zones do not make sense to me. ??? ??? ???

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 10:10:52 PM »
Oooops, I just realized I had a typo in there which I have now corrected (to say, "our season is much shorter than for many of the other posters") but I think you understood my intent anyway!

P.S. A delightful exception to my usual observation was that, last year, Petrocoptis pyrenaica ssp. glaucifolia bloomed in the house under the lights, in about 3 months from seed!  But... will it be hardy here??
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 10:55:38 PM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Lewisia seedling success
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 05:58:52 AM »
Howdy All,

I thought I'd add this to the existing topic (I've modified the topic name slightly, as I've made this a bit wider now than just Lewisia cotyledon).  I've sown more Lewisia this year, this time a few different species.  Those sown in April are already well up, while those sown in around June have been a bit slower in their response.  I'm amazed at just how different the leaves of the different species are, so I have photos of 4 species to show anyone who is interested..... Lewisias tweedyi, nevadensis, brachycalyx and rediviva.  All have quite different thickness or texture to the leaves (particularly the tweedyi, which are much broader and thinner than the others), more so than it appears in the pictures.

These seedlings all exist thanks to the generosity of a friend from the SRGC who sent the seed to me.  The later seedlings I mentioned are from yet another of our SRGCers.  Thanks guys!!  8)

Enjoy.

Please click on the pic for a larger version.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 06:09:28 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 11:40:42 AM »
Thanks, Paul; I do think it useful to see pictures like these.... it is all very well to get excited about wonderful pix of mature flowering plants.... and who doesn't enjoy that?!! .......but it is very instructive for beginners to see what seedlings look like.... it helps them know if they have the right thing..... saves accidental weeding of precious babies!!.... and gives an idea of how much development can be expected over a given period.
Thanks!!  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 11:44:03 AM »
Maggi,

I'll photograph some of the young cotyledon seedlings I have coming along now as well.  That shows them when they are small, instead of these ones which were larger.  I guess I should really be pricking these larger ones out into individual pots by now, shouldn't I!  ::)  I never seem to get anything done at home. I'm the perfect procrastinator!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 01:32:42 PM »
Excellent idea, Paul, for further pix.

Have to disagree with your claiming of perfect procrastinator title.... in truth I am the world record holder in all aspects of procrastination.... except one.........."never leave till tomorrow some chocolate which could be eaten today"   ::) :P ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 01:41:58 PM »
I've got you both beat on that score (and not very proud of it!)...but that's another topic entirely...
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal