We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione early 2009.  (Read 74737 times)

Eric Locke

Re: Pleione early 2009.
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2009, 06:45:03 PM »
Hi Tom

Mine are all natural !!!
It has been very mild here the past couple of weeks and new ones are blooming nearly every day.
I will have over twenty different species/hybrids in bloom by the middle of next week , although many are still not showing as yet.

Eric
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 07:09:12 PM by Eric Locke »

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2009, 09:19:09 PM »
There's a lot going on here at the moment !
Lovely Pleione everyone !

Here's some of mine : three P. eiger clones :

1) P. eiger 'To ah' - best showing the humilis patern on the lip.
2) P. eiger 'To be'
3) P. eiger 'To See'

I didn't invent the names... Jan Berg did - a great dutch breeder who passed away some years ago.

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maxime_P

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2009, 09:52:37 PM »
Nice ! I got Plne Eiger to See this month but the flower felt down at the same time.

What is your favorite Eiger between this 3 forms ?  ;D
Maxime

Eric Locke

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2009, 09:57:47 PM »
Nice Luc.
I assume they are all from the same seedpod ?
 "The late" Jan Berg produced some nice hybrids ,including Riah Shan and some superb clones of Ueli Wackernagel ,which I will post photos of here later.

Eric.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 11:18:06 AM by Eric Locke »

Peter J

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2009, 09:22:21 AM »
Pleione Leda is amazing !!!!

About Pleione Riah Shan, I'm happy to see a picture of it, I bought one last week but I've never found any photograph of the flower.
Like karel_t, I was surprised to know that it is a spring-flowering Pleione and not a automn-flowering one as one of its parent is Pleione maculata.
Anyway, all these Pleione are fantastic !!!

Hi, can you please tell me where you bought this Pleione from as I would like to buy one myself. Also what is the correct spelling as some people are using Rhia Shan and other Riah Shan?

Peter

Eric Locke

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2009, 11:23:49 AM »

Peter

Correct spelling is Riah Shan ,and I own up to the incorrect spelling ,which I have corrected apart from on the original photo.
Only source I know of for these is Wubben Orchids in the Netherlands.
Jan Berg passed on several of his hybrids through this nursery.

Eric

Maxime_P

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2009, 12:10:31 PM »

Peter

Correct spelling is Riah Shan ,and I own up to the incorrect spelling ,which I have corrected apart from on the original photo.
Only source I know of for these is Wubben Orchids in the Netherlands.
Jan Berg passed on several of his hybrids through this nursery.

Eric

This explain why Wubben also sells Pln Eiger to A, to B and to C.
Maxime

PJ

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2009, 09:54:41 AM »
Hi

The first contribution is humilis this one has red speckling on the petals or are they the sepals I can never remember. I only have the one with this speckling not sure if this is unusual for this plant.
Its nice to see collections of different named Eiger photos by Peter Clarke, Eric, LarsB and Luc so my second photo is of the two best clones of Eiger I grow. The flowers on the left have six lines of yellow keels with red markings more like humilis, the flowers on the right have four yellow keels and has dark red lip markings.
This year a good 30% of my Eiger have had two flowers per stem and some other Pleiones in bud will also have two flowers per stem. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else is finding this happening more than usual this year?   

Peter.   
Peter
Northolt UK.

PJ

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2009, 01:08:52 PM »
Hi Rob

I think you will find P. Danan is a cross between P. limprichtii x P. humilis and early blooming because of humilis. 

I am sure you are right the weather conditions one year affecting the growth the next. My Pitons are also showing double flower buds I cannot remember this happening with Piton before for me either.

Peter.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 01:28:18 PM by PJ »
Peter
Northolt UK.

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2009, 01:31:39 PM »
P. x danan, i think hookeriana is in its parentage not to sure, shame its not that intresting but early blooms are nice to have :)

rob

Hi Rob

you can just look on Paul Cumbletons website (Pleione) under Hybrids if you are not sure of the parentage.

Dave

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2009, 02:33:53 PM »
Peter,
Two very nice Eiger clones !!  Beautifully marked !

Eric,

From what I know, the To ah - To be and To see series came from a cross Jan Berg made using P. formosana alba and P. humilis instead of the normal P. formosana and humilis that were used by Ian Butterfield when he firs crossed the two species back in 1979.
... and yes - I also obtained them from Wubben orchids - Jan Berg lived close to that nursery.

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Pete Clarke

« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2009, 08:35:46 PM »
Rob & Peter - I have a large proportion of Rakata clones & Zeus Weinstein having twin flowering shoots. However I have never had 3. (What is the most anybody has had or known of?)

Pl. grandiflora.
Zeus Weinstein.
Birmingham, Midlands, UK

Tim Harberd

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2009, 09:06:29 PM »
Hi Pete,

At my 2007 re-potting i 'found' one bulb in a pot of Katla which just looked wrong. It was twice the size of the others, so I potted it separately. I assumed it was a rogue bulbil from elsewhere. Anyway it WAS a Katla, and produced two stems with two flowers each, so that's my record. Four flowers from one bulb.

Tim DH

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 11:11:17 PM by Maggi Young »

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2009, 09:10:44 PM »
Very good Zeus Weinstein Pete !!

Here are some of mine flowering right now :

1) pl. formosana 'Polar Sun'
2) pl. hekla 'Locking Stumps'
3) Pl. britannia Doreen
4) Pl. Ueli Wackernagel - a very pale pink form
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

PJ

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2009, 07:51:36 PM »
Luc,
I like the Ueli Wackernagel this has a very nice flower.
All the Eigers I grow are all unnamed Butterfield crosses.

Pete,
Some of the Eiger have two stems with two flowers on each. I have removed one plant from its tray to photograph and the roots are only just starting to show, the plant has been in flower for two weeks proving a point flower first then roots or am I keeping them too dry.
I have grown Leda for a few years with only one flower each year but this year two stems and two flowers on each stem.

Tim,
I had one bulb of limprichtii twice the size of all the others at the end of last year and like you I have potted this bulb up separately to see what happens this year. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:57:08 PM by PJ »
Peter
Northolt UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal