We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Books you may like to hear about  (Read 212213 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Books you may like to hear about
« Reply #405 on: December 05, 2011, 07:29:25 PM »
It would make a cracking Xmas present for any nerine-lovers in your life...
It certainly would.... and not break the bank, either!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #406 on: December 18, 2011, 02:36:25 PM »
Great website with new books at bargain prices, many of interest to rock gardeners

http://www.psbooks.co.uk/General_Interest_Gardening_Fts.asp  

And a recent great read was The Tulip Anthology by Ron van Dongen. It usually retails from $80.00/£40.00 but can be obtained at Photo Books International, London for under half-price.

A review (not mine) of the book can be obtained at
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 03:16:17 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

manicbotanic

« Reply #407 on: December 18, 2011, 05:24:49 PM »
ive just treated myself to flowers of western china by phillip crib and chris grey wilson..very nice it is to.the only problem i now have more plants to track down!!! :D

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #408 on: December 19, 2011, 09:06:21 PM »

ive just treated myself to flowers of western china by phillip crib and chris grey wilson..very nice it is to.the only problem i now have more plants to track down!!! :D

And there's an article by Phillip in the December issue of the AGS Journal to futher whet your interest:

http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/pdf_files/news/AG-DEC2011--Contents.pdf

Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #409 on: December 24, 2011, 04:37:28 PM »
The Orchids of Ireland by Curtis & Thompson (2009) is a book I'd recommend to anyone with an interest.  Apparently cheaper here ;)
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #410 on: December 26, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »
If you need a small gift for one of your gardening friend, I can recommend: "The gardener's year" by Karel Capek. It is one of the funniest books about gardening. I have been reading it several times and gave it as a present several times.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #411 on: January 03, 2012, 03:16:19 AM »
I agree, Lina, I got it the previous Christmas ;D
Well worth the search through the second hand book sites
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #412 on: January 25, 2012, 06:13:47 PM »
Ian has a review of Michael Mitchell's book "Alpines, an essential guide" in this week's Bulb Log.... follow the link below...
http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2012Jan251327484353BULB_LOG__0412.pdf

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #413 on: February 01, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »
As someone who finds it just as impossible to pass by books as I do plants, I have just started to read 'The Undaunted Garden' by Lauren Springer Ogden. This is the story of gardening in the dry and harsh climate of Colorado but still rings a lot of bells with rock gardeners. She comments for example that it is second nature with rock gardeners to really learn about the plants they grow. Elsewhere when describing the relative homogenity of gardening throughout North America she says that [It is as though] 'A nation of bold pioneers and innovators has seemed to wither when it comes to adventurous gardening, planting the same few dozen plants in the same few dozen ways, from sea to shining sea.' It rings some bells! (even if we do live in a land of great gardens). Of course there are many adventurous gardeners around but it's always nice to be prodded along by such heartfelt writing. So I am looking forward to getting into the book properly and making my own little corner of Colorado!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #414 on: February 01, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »
Sounds a good read, Tim.
Coincidentally, we had a talk on Colorado from Sandy Leven last evening at the Aberdeen Group: super talk.

I have never been to the States and I was surprised at how many verdant areas there are in a state that I imagined would be much more arid. 

illingworth

« Reply #415 on: February 02, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »
Another good book by Lauren Springer Ogden and Scott Ogden is Plant - Driven Design; Creating gardens that honor plants, place and spirit (Timber Press). It is illustrated with lots of ideas and pictures from the authors' own gardens in Colorado and Texas, and also looks at plants and gardens in many different situations and regions.
Sharon

Edit by maggi : link added http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plant-Driven-Design-Creating-Gardens-Plants/dp/0881928771
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 04:04:31 PM by Maggi Young »
Rob and Sharon,
Our garden at http://www.flickr.com/photos/illingworth/
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #416 on: February 22, 2012, 07:12:20 PM »
My long awaited copy of the reprint of "A Guide to Species Irises:Their Identification and Cultivation" arrived today. It is a reprint of the original edited by The Species Group of the British Iris Society and is published by Cambridge University Press.

I've wanted to get my hands on a copy of this for a long time but baulked at paying the prices being asked for a second hand copy. Even today a copy of the original is for sale on ABE Books, from a UK based book seller for £320 plus p&p.

I may be wrong but I don't think the reprint has been updated (from the 1997 original) but it does include a Preface to the 2011 reprint in which reference is made to "....draw attention to some of the more invidious"[errors and omissions].

The Preface also includes "Sadly, for technical reasons, it has not been possible to reproduce the original plates in colour {which are now avaiable for download from www.cambridge.org/9780521206433}........." At the end of the book there are 128 black and white prints none of which are marked with the pages of the text where these species and forms are discussed. Perhaps we are spoilt by the coloured illustrations in available in modern books today and on The Internet.

Those points apart I look forward to sitting down and reading it.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ronm

« Reply #417 on: February 22, 2012, 07:21:23 PM »
One of mine arrived today David - £22, the other will be here in two days - £29. Both from the same supplier and both P&P free. One ordered much earlier than the other. Its good. Up to date.. no! but who is??? See I. polakii. ??? ??? ??? ???. A worthwhile addition definitely.. if anyone wants a spare one?, also 'Moleskin' gets a mention, :-X :-X :-X

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #418 on: March 15, 2012, 09:24:35 PM »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #419 on: March 15, 2012, 09:46:08 PM »
Paddy, I got this week the Garden Illustrated of February. The article about the Irish snowdrops was great. It is also great they mention your good work. Indeed, fame at last! Congratulations!

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal