We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Australian Native Plants at the ANBG Canberra  (Read 111106 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Australian Native Plants at the ANBG Canberra
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2008, 10:41:07 PM »
I've also read that it is or may be semi-parasitic on something else and in that case, it would be difficult to grow without a suitable host plant.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2008, 11:06:23 PM »
Lesley,

I don't "think" so, but that doesn't mean anything.  ::)  Seed will germinate and grow fine providing the proper conditions are provided.  I hadn't heard anything about a parasitic nature to it?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »
Stunning display Paul !  :o
Grevillea and Philotheca sure have flower power !!!!  8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

arillady

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2008, 11:36:11 AM »
Paul there was a plant that was used in flower arrangements and at the back of borders in some of the old books - Humea elegans - Calomeria amaranthoides, smoke bush, which comes Australian wet sclerophyll forests or near rain forests in NSW or Vic. it is many years since I tried to source seed but this topic reminded me of it. One of the first plants that I spent a lot of time in trying to find.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2008, 11:58:11 AM »
Pat,

So did you find it?  Never heard of it before, but looking it up on the Net it is rather interesting.  3.5m bienniel herb!!  A guess a bit reminiscent of some of the Echium species.  ;)  Looks rather cool to be honest, although perhaps a bit large for my garden (but wouldn't stop me trying it though).
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2008, 02:05:28 PM »
Paul, thanks for taking the time to post these, very interesting and some lovely plants.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2008, 08:48:10 PM »
Thanks David,

More are partly prepared, but off to work now so won't be ready until at least tonight.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2008, 08:21:02 AM »
Paul,

Great to see you have posted more plants. I was very taken by your photos Richea dracophylla. We have numerous species belonging to the sister genus Dracophyllum in New Zealand. They can be quite prominent in subalpine scrub and bogs. Some of the larger ones are fairly spectacular trees. Our one species of Swainsonia has now been tranferred to its own genus Montigena. The grafting of Swainsonia formosa on to Clianthus puniceus rootstock would indicate these Australasian genera are closely related not withstanding the views of taxonomists.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2008, 09:09:14 AM »
David,

Swainsonia formosa used to be Clianthus formosa, so they used to think the link was even closer!  ;)  It does however show they must be fairly compatible, eh? ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2008, 09:55:29 AM »
Here's some more pics taken last week.....

I'll start with some Grevilleas again....

This Grevillea acanthifolia ssp acanthifolia is about 3.5m tall, and perhaps 5 or 6m wide.  It is covered in flowers and the birds just love it.  The flowerheads are each about 3 inches long.

88545-0
88547-1
Grevillea acanthifolia ssp acanthifolia

Grevillea curviloba is down towards the other extreme, being a ground cover.  This one is perhaps 6 inches tall, and a couple of metres wide.

88549-2
88551-3
Grevillea curviloba

This one is planted in a piece of pipe outside of the visitors centre at the ANBG.  Grevillea leptobotrys is a tiny little thing (the whole plant is about 2 1/2 feet wide), with slender leaves and small flowerheads.  Very beautiful when looked at closely, but I would imagine that a lot of people never even notice it is in flower.  ::)

88553-4
88555-5
Grevillea leptobotrys

This is the only lavender species I have come across to date (which doesn't mean there aren't others).... Grevillea rivularis is a decidedly lavender pink, a rather delicately beautiful colour.  The plants are about 5 foot tall or so, with the flowers being in a spray about 4 inches long.  I've included a side picture to show just how much their "toothbrush" arrangement, as is so common in many of the genus.
88557-6
88559-7
88561-8
Grevillea rivularis
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 09:59:32 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2008, 10:48:36 AM »
These are three other Grevillea that I don't have plant pictures for as they were all smaller plants that I had no idea as to the potential size they'd reach (so there was no point I felt in giving you information on what they currently looked like, when it might be nothing like what they look like at maturity....

88565-0
Grevillea minutiflora has flowehreads about an inch long, on what appears to be a very small plant.

88567-1
Grevillea speciosa.  Flowerhead is about 5cm across.

88569-2
Grevillea tripartita ssp macrostylis.  Each flower is about an inch long, coming virtually straight off the stem.

And these are pics of the Gymea Lily, Doryanthes excelsa.  The flower stems are between 4 and 5 metres tall I think, but I haven't exactly measured them.  Stunning architectural plant.  Also comes in a white flowered for, but that is not flowering this year it appears.

88571-3
88573-4
88575-5
Doryanthes excelsa
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2008, 11:00:54 AM »
Howdy again All,

Can people please let me know whether they prefer this method of posting the pics within the message, or whether they preferred them attached at the end like I had been doing?  I'm happy to do it either way, so let me know which is better.

Here's some other assorted bits and pieces in flower at present at the ANBG...

88579-0
88581-1
There are so many Banksia in flower at the moment, from small tree size down to ground covers.... this Banksia spinulosa var spinulosa is currently only around 5 feet tall, and looks like it is probably mature at that size.  Flowerheads are about 7 inches tall.

88583-2
88585-3
This little shrub is Bauera rubiodes.  Only about 18 inches tall and perhaps 2 feet wide, it has quite a cute flower.  Each one is about an inch wide, facing downwards and giving a light and airy feel to the plant.  The plant was in dappled shade and the pictures didn't work out well enough to post here.  These closeups of the side and face show you what the flowers look like and will have to do.  ;)

88587-4
88589-5
Boronia anemonifolia ssp variabilis stands out as it is covered in flowers.  It's about 2 feet tall, with quite small flowers, but they make up for it in sheer number.

88591-6
88593-7
A favourite of mine is Epacris longiflora, also called the native fuchsia, with it's striking red and white flowers.  There is also a pure white flowered form which I can post a pic of if anyone is interested?  I grow the straight species at home already, plus have the white plus a couple of other forms on order from that wonderful Native nursery down in Victoria.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:05:15 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2008, 11:26:14 AM »
Paul, the way you did it before had the advantage of having a name to each picture
and most of us were used to the system.
I never tried it this 'new' way, but see it more often now on the Forum.
(I never looked at the manner how to do it, I must confess ;))

You make me envious looking at the pictures, while I think that you are able to see
all those beauties every day.
I hope the work you are doing is not to bad either??  :-\ ;D ;D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2008, 11:39:38 AM »
Luit,

I look after Tasmanian section, plus various other areas in the lower parts of the ANBG.  We each have our areas to work and tend to do what is needed when it needs doing, be it pruning, weeding (far too much of that of course!  ::)), mulching, watering, planting, improving etc.  If we want to we can work with others in their areas, or can ask for help from co-workers to help with ours.  Working outside in an "office" like the ANBG is the closest thing I have found as yet to my dream job.  So Yes, the other work I am doing is not too bad!!  ;D ;D ;D

I still have more pics ready to post, but getting tired so heading off to bed.  I tend to start before 7am in the morning (by choice.... I like to start early) so I need my beauty sleep.  ::)

Thanks for the feedback re the pics.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:42:16 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2008, 03:27:30 PM »
weeding (far too much of that of course!  ),
Paul I have been weeding quite a lot of my lifetime.
But have learned that it's a good exercise for the brains. :-\ :-\ ;D ;D ;D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal