We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 2022  (Read 12115 times)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Bulb Log 2022
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2022, 01:30:09 PM »
Many thanks Carolyn; most useful :)
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2022, 02:05:05 PM »
Beautiful plants Ian, and I've always admired them in your Bulb Logs.
Unfortunately I've had no success so far with seed from the exchange & understand that seed viability may be low, but what germination conditions would you recommend?

Carolyn has already answered most of the points but yes the viability of Celmisia seed from exchanges is often poor. I was taught by Jack Drake to drop the Celmisia seeds onto a sheet of paper and listen carefully any that go tick are more likely to be viable. Even seed in the wild of NZ can be poor as grubs that feed on the seed get into the flower at an early stage leaving only the empty husk. However if you do get hold of good seed then I would not recommend pricking it out in the first year as that can lead to high losses - I got best results pricking it out after the second years growth when the seedlings are bigger. 
They are such lovely plants it is always worth trying seed especially if you join NZAGS and get from their seed exchange.
https://www.nzags.com/
By coincidence and our terrible weather NZ plants feature in this Wednesday's Bulb Log.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2022, 05:50:47 PM »
Thanks Ian.  Good to know.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2022, 10:59:21 AM »
Weather, location, hardiness and how the New Zealand flora makes a home in Aberdeen are the topics - click the link the the Bulb Log. 

https://www.srgc.net/documents/bulb%20logs/221123105023BULB%20LOG%204722.pdf

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2022, 11:41:36 AM »
Again, many thanks Ian for this further elaboration.  Wonderful plants.
Unfortunately I've only slowly come round to concentrating on what grows best under my conditions, rather than being beguiled by unsuitable matches ;)
Still, no regrets ;D

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2022, 03:52:27 PM »
We all fall to the temptation Ashley - it is only after years of loosing plants that we started to see the light.........

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2022, 07:37:04 PM »
Hi Ian,

I have thoroughly enjoyed many of your recent Bulb Log photo-essays. In particular, I have appreciated how you have captured the ambience of your garden through your photographs, writing, and your perspective as an artist. Recently I have been reevaluating my mission as a gardener. Your views in the Bulb Log have helped me realize how much I desire a beautiful garden that pleases me each day, each season. Experimenting with a few new plants can be very enjoyable for me. However, cultivating plants that thrive and look their best despite the challenges of our climate is more to my liking even if they are very common species such as Zinnia elegans. For me it is all about how the plants and other garden elements are arranged to create the ambience I desire in our Sacramento garden. Through your Bulb Logs I have allowed myself to open up to many possibilities. I guess it is important to me to express my appreciation for your years of effort creating the Bulb Log. They have certainly helped inspire me to mature as a gardener. Thank you!

Now that my situation has changed, I can return to my original passion in gardening: Agriculture. Growing vegetable varieties such as Bianca Riccia Endive and D’Avignon Radishes from my own seed lines “floats my boat”. I find all aspects of the plants and growing them to perfection beautiful. But then, this is beyond the realm of Rock Gardening.

[Jasmin]:  I have not had as much opportunity to follow the Bulb Log regularly; yet also appreciate its influence in our lives.  At this point, I do not know how much or how often Robert will contribute, since he feels perhaps food crops do not qualify for inclusion on the Forum.  Since our garden is an integrated one of ornamentals and food crops and I find wonder and beauty in all of these plants, I think I am more of a “lumper” than a “splitter”.  I have suggested as much to Robert, including perhaps a new thread; yet at this juncture I lack a proper concept title.  I think Robert needs reassurance his particular garden directions would be appropriate and welcome on the Forum.

Soon we will be revamping the front strip.  Climate has changed, and the plants that once were are no more, and it is time to replant with plants that will thrive.  I have this vision of dahlias and salvias, with some rock circles or waves, which indicate where the bulbs are so all the plants can be tended properly without disturbing any out of their season.

I always feel like I talk or write too much, so forgive me.  Again, thank you for all your beautiful and thoughtful Bulb Logs.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2022, 08:52:18 PM »
Great to hear from you, Jasmin, and I think you and Robert need have no fear that there is interest in growing foodstuff as much as in ornamental gardening  after all, we must all eat - and changing times and situations are  impacting most of us around the world.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2022, 10:57:49 AM »
Unfortunately I've only slowly come round to concentrating on what grows best under my conditions,

It is the same with me. :-[
Thank you Ian for reminding about this. I know it, but still fall into temptation. Still, I now grow many plants I didn't think would be possible to grow here, and without trying I wouldn't know it. For instance twenty years ago Hellebores were thought very difficult to grow here, and now mostly they are not so difficult. They just need the right spot and right soil (and still some may die during winter but mostly do not). Finding out what grows well in my garden (and in which spot) is one of the interesting things about gardening for me. There are failures and successes. Some Primulas like P.japonica just don't like to grow in my soil, and I have mostly learned not to sow them, or likes of them, but sometimes temptation to try once more is too strong, because they look so easy and nice in other peoples gardens.
I think by trying different plants I have learned a lot about my own garden, but now the next step would be to grow on the ones which grow well, and concentrate on them.
Leena from south of Finland

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2022, 11:32:17 AM »
Thank you Robert and Jasmin for your very kind and thoughtful words it means a lot to me to learn that I can widen peoples outlook on what a garden is or can be.
The important thing for everyone to know is that when it is your garden you can grow whatever you want however you want I just say look to nature for inspiration and make something beautiful and productive.

I know that you are both close to nature and greatly enjoy reading Robert's posts.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2022, 11:40:25 AM »
How right you are Leena what we read about a plants hardiness can only ever be a guide there are many plants we grow here that the books say should not. There are so many factors involved in 'hardiness' that we have to try and perhaps kill plants to find out - we have a three strikes and your out rule so if we try and loose a plant three times we move on.
As long as I am learning something from the death of a plant it is not a complete waste.

Jeffnz

« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2022, 06:28:31 PM »
Once quarter acre sections were the norm here and there was space for a vege garden. I grew up on a farm and Mum had a large vege garden which supplied the family with summer and winter crops, summer veg was frozen for winter use. As a result I was introduced to gardening at an early age. We had no supermarkets then.
The demand for land in cities for housing has seen section size shrink, also interest in gardening by the younger generation has seen vege gardening interest reduced.
One of our supermarket chains is giving away little grow pots which cover a range of vege seeds and this hopefully will generate renewed interest in growing vegetables.

MarcR

« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2022, 06:42:18 PM »
How right you are Leena what we read about a plants hardiness can only ever be a guide there are many plants we grow here that the books say should not. There are so many factors involved in 'hardiness' that we have to try and perhaps kill plants to find out - we have a three strikes and your out rule so if we try and loose a plant three times we move on.
As long as I am learning something from the death of a plant it is not a complete waste.

Ian,
I am in zone 8b; but over 1/3 of what I grow is listed in the books as zone 9 or even zone 10.  Many small trees are in deep planters on dollies that get moved to a tunnel type greenhouse when killer frosts are expected.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2022, 10:16:10 AM »
Once quarter acre sections were the norm here and there was space for a vege garden. I grew up on a farm and Mum had a large vege garden which supplied the family with summer and winter crops, summer veg was frozen for winter use. As a result I was introduced to gardening at an early age. We had no supermarkets then.
The demand for land in cities for housing has seen section size shrink, also interest in gardening by the younger generation has seen vege gardening interest reduced.
One of our supermarket chains is giving away little grow pots which cover a range of vege seeds and this hopefully will generate renewed interest in growing vegetables.

I am hopeful that the interest the younger generations are showing in global warming may guide them to a greater interest in growing plants of all kinds. If I had more energy, time and space I would to love to grow vegetables, especially the ancient and heritage types and not in separate beds but integrated in with the ornamentals.
The shrinking garden is a big problem in the UK we are lucky our two semi detached houses were built in the 1930's when a housing plot and garden was around 1/3 of and acre. so we have good space.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2022, 10:18:12 AM »
Ian,
I am in zone 8b; but over 1/3 of what I grow is listed in the books as zone 9 or even zone 10.  Many small trees are in deep planters on dollies that get moved to a tunnel type greenhouse when killer frosts are expected.

Well done Marc - where there is a will there is a way.......

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal