We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pest Problem  (Read 6108 times)

Palustris

Pest Problem
« on: July 17, 2021, 12:04:35 PM »
As some folks know I used to grow Auriculas, given up on them now because of the root aphids.
However, I did sow the last lot of seed which I had as an experiment. The plants were potted up in brand new peat free compost in brand new sterile pots and put on the concrete patio in the shade of the house, well away from any of the Auriculas which I planted out in the garden.
So how come they are all now infested with root aphids?  Where did they come from? No other plants get them and there were no other plants in any case anywhere near the seedlings.
The only thing we can think of is that the aphids come in with the compost or they may have been lurking on the seed trays.
Anybody got any suggestions as to how to get rid of them? At the moment all the plants are soaking in a vile mixture of Neem oil, Provado and Washing up liquid. Not bothered if it kills the plants as they are destined for the bin in any case.

Tristan_He

Re: Pest Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 02:58:03 PM »
Hi Palustris,

Root aphids have a winged phase, so it's likely that even if you eradicated them, they recolonise this way.

In general I find that stressed plants (in primula this is most often too hot or dry) are more susceptible.

For more info there is a good article here:
https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/houseplant-pests/root-aphid-control/

Tristan

Palustris

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 03:30:30 PM »
Thanks. Still would like to know why they only seem to go on the Auriculas and nothing else. The plants were not stressed in any way that I could see though.
Bin here they come!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 03:41:06 PM »
When I was a Primula grower I used Methylated Spirits as drench and painted it through the root ball. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Palustris

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 05:02:17 PM »
Tried that, it killed the plants!
Even odder is that I have just been looking through some P. siebodlii divisions. they were in a seed tray next to the Auriculas, not a single sign of root aphids on them.
The stuff recommended for controlling the blighters is £70 for 4 fluid ounces. Sheesh!

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 09:44:18 PM »
I've accumulated quite a few P. sieboldii and noticed how they have been very free of the pests that afflict my auriculas/other primula. Repotting auriculas can be a depressing experience with many vine weevil larvae chomping on the roots, but only once have I found a vine weevil in the sieboldii.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Palustris

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 08:35:09 AM »
That is good to hear.
Strangely in looking for root aphids, so far I have not found any vine weevil grubs in the pots. Perhaps they do not like the taste of aphids? :P

Palustris

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 01:54:47 PM »
Just been going through the Auriculas, again. The ones which have been soaked  for days in the insecticide do seem to be cleaner.  It looks on some of them as if the aphids have moved up to the surface of the compost so I have been spraying the base of the plants with an insecticide which claims to kill them and their eggs.
Watch this space.

Graeme

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 08:16:44 PM »
Hi Palustris,

Root aphids have a winged phase, so it's likely that even if you eradicated them, they recolonise this way.

In general I find that stressed plants (in primula this is most often too hot or dry) are more susceptible.

For more info there is a good article here:
https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/houseplant-pests/root-aphid-control/

Tristan
When I used to grow a lot of Auriculas I used to use Jeyes Fluid - and leave them in a bucket drench for an hour - it cleaned the long tom clay pots as well

I presume it's illegal now, like everything else that was any good

I did move over to cat litter and Jondo Hen grit mix with oyster shells and limestone chippings - can't remember seeing any after that

The place I used to get plants from you could guarantee they came with root aphids, so I always quarantined them as soon as I got them home
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Palustris

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 08:47:57 AM »
Sadly despite doing everything that has been suggested, the few remaining Auriculas all had huge numbers of root aphids so I have stopped growing them altogether. Just not worth the heartache.
The ones out in the borders can stay and survive or not as they please, but the Theatre ones are gone.

MarcR

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2022, 05:54:12 AM »
Palustrus,

Some horticultural supply vendors sell an insectivorous specie of nematode.

I think that is probably your best control.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Vinny 123

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2022, 08:34:08 PM »
Some horticultural supply vendors sell an insectivorous specie of nematode.

Not in the UK - looking at the ones available in the US, the UK climate is almost certainly too cool for them here, especially for plants such as Primulas which prefer things cool.

I have very seldom had problems (VERY seldom grown Primulas in pots though), but a change of compost could work and keeping them well-watered (which ties in with the few problems seen here - gritty, fast-drained composts).

In pots, a drench every few days with something like cypermethrin might work - very safe (approved for use on food contact surfaces) but the most persistant pyrethroid there is on the market.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 08:36:19 PM by Vinny 123 »

Palustris

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2022, 08:57:12 PM »
Too late. All gone. Planted out in the garden and the theatre is now empty.

lillianlambert

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2022, 10:22:00 PM »
Root aphids are such a pain, and it's so annoying to get rid of because there are so many of them. I've been battling with them for three months. If the roots are rotted, I recommend flushing your medium with H202 to help with it. I would do it a couple of times, then continually add it to your nutrient mix. It would be best to flush out as many as possible for the root aphids. Physical removal is key for getting aphid populations down. But to be honest, the only thing that helped me was a pest control sydney company. They used an eco-solution that killed them.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 10:09:28 PM by lillianlambert »

Azkabanus

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2022, 02:01:22 PM »
What is the danger of root aphids ?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal