We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: sowing Boehmeria  (Read 1089 times)

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
sowing Boehmeria
« on: September 27, 2020, 10:15:26 AM »
Hi all ,

has anybody here expierience with sowing seeds of Boehmeria plantanifolia?

Thanks in advance
Hans
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 07:28:56 PM by Hans J »
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: sowing Boehmeria
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 05:14:04 PM »
I did have a couple of seedlings a few years ago, B. tricuspis, they didn't survive longer term... I don't remember the sowing protocol though...-- I checked and found my original notes from Kristl-- easy warm germinator.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 07:28:20 PM »
Hi Cohan ,

thank you for your answer
"easy warm germinator" ...it is for me not 100% clear ( any way ...this means those seeds needs no frost for germination )
My idea is ( I will share the seeds in two parts )
Part one : I will sow it direct now and let it in winter in my greenhouse ( minium of 5° C )
Part two : store it in the fridge and sow it in spring ( either in my house or also in greenhouse )
What you think ?

Best wishes
Hans

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 08:00:40 PM »
http://www.onrockgarden.com/germination-guide/plants?title=&start=boehmeria&contain=
this site does not list your species, but both listed are warm germinators (yes-- meaning no cold period or other special treatment, just sow at 20C or so, and that is all; when they say 3 months on that site, it is just standard, not specific information for those species).. Not all species are guaranteed to be the same, but if two other species are warm germinators, I'd try it, if nothing happens in a few weeks at room temperature, you could try putting then at cold-- usually 1-4C is recommended, I can't say whether 5C is cold enough to make a difference or not..
if you are storing in the fridge, is your intention for cold stratification, or only to delay germination? For cold strat, you probably know the seeds must be moist (in soil/vermiculite, something) or else it is indeed just storage.
Of course if they are warm germinators and germinate now, you have to know whether you can keep them happy indoors all winter..

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 08:21:09 PM »
Hi Cohan ,

ah ...god idea to look on onrock site

I have found this here in the internet :
From seed: start indoors 6-8 weeks before the last frost. Surfaces sow false nettle seeds and keep the seeds and seedlings very moist. The plants are very small when emerged, so you should use a mist bottle to avoid damaging them. A plastic sheet would help hold in the moisture. Growth is slow until they reach about 1 to 2 inches at which point they will take off. When planting outdoors, place the plants about 2 feet apart.
NOTE: The seeds should be kept dry in the refrigerator until planted - this will help germination. Our seeds for sale are kept in the cold store.

So my idea was too follow this advice with dry seeds in the fridge ...

Yes ...I think it would be possibly to sow it now here in the room ...but the problem is to keep happy inside

I will keep you updatet
Hans

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 08:27:39 PM »
Hi Cohan ,

ah ...god idea to look on onrock site

I have found this here in the internet :
From seed: start indoors 6-8 weeks before the last frost. Surfaces sow false nettle seeds and keep the seeds and seedlings very moist. The plants are very small when emerged, so you should use a mist bottle to avoid damaging them. A plastic sheet would help hold in the moisture. Growth is slow until they reach about 1 to 2 inches at which point they will take off. When planting outdoors, place the plants about 2 feet apart.
NOTE: The seeds should be kept dry in the refrigerator until planted - this will help germination. Our seeds for sale are kept in the cold store.

So my idea was too follow this advice with dry seeds in the fridge ...

Yes ...I think it would be possibly to sow it now here in the room ...but the problem is to keep happy inside

I will keep you updatet
Hans

Yeah, I have a bad track record at trying to keep 'outdoor' plants alive indoors over winter... I don't think dry storage in the fridge will 'help with germination' it should have no effect, thought it 'might' help keep the seeds fresh...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal