We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus to fill a large garden?  (Read 1548 times)

Silvija Petrošiūtė

Crocus to fill a large garden?
« on: April 14, 2020, 05:29:17 PM »
Can I ask you to help? Can find how to start discussion or find answers :)

Dear everyone! I'm from Lithuania, beginner in planting and creating farm house and environment. My biggest wish is to have crocus field in spring across my house. But where are more than hectare. Any ideas, how to plant so many crocus? Seeds? Another idea? Will be very thankful for any idea!     

Sincerely yours
Silvija 

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Crocus to fill a large garden?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 06:20:27 PM »
Hello Silvija, welcome to the  forum!  :)
I love  your  ambition to have  a  crocus  field - I think seed  will be  the  best  way - but  you will need  lots  of that.  It  would  be  a  good  idea  to plant  as  many  of the  more  easily  available  varieties  whenever  you  can in order to get  a  good  start.  Problem is, I  do  not  know  how simple that will be  for you  in  Lithuania.  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tristan_He

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 07:53:31 PM »
Hello Silvija, welcome! What a brilliant vision.

I agree with Maggi - buy lots of the commercially available varieties to see what works for you. This will give you instant impact, and meanwhile you can grow more from seed. Commercial growers can supply bulbs in the quantities you will need - I have had good results in the past from Eurobulb (www.eurobulb.nl). I don't know what would work best in your area but here in the UK the best crocus for naturalising are C. tommasinianus and C. chrysanthus.

If you are creating a bulb lawn you might want to think about other flowers to extend the interest - Scilla, Ornithogalum, Chionodoxa, tulips, narcissi and fritillaries can all extend the season when the crocuses have finished flowering. Lots of options!

Best wishes, Tristan

ArnoldT

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 02:05:45 AM »
Silvija

I did that when I moved into my present house at my rear lawn.

I purchased a large amount of crocus bulbs from a large distributor in Netherlands.

Cut the grass short and threw them across the lawn with a bucket.

Planted them where they came to rest.  You could consider have a crocus planting party.  I used a dibble.  Poked a hole and dropped a corm in.

Do some research on what colors you like.  many many choices.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

arisaema

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 02:50:19 AM »
Also, see this thread for inspiration, and don't forget to add a few autumn Crocus too!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal