We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Please ID this little snowdrop for me!  (Read 1590 times)

WSGR

Please ID this little snowdrop for me!
« on: January 10, 2019, 02:32:01 PM »
Thrilled to see this little gem, but what is it called please. Your expertise is much anticipated and appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Please ID this little snowdrop for me!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 04:26:16 PM »
Always helpful to  see the whole leaves as well as the flower, WSGR.  Flower markings can be similar on snowdrops of different species. (And that's before one considers those that are unstable in their markings according to age or growing conditions! ) I hope someone can help you with this!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 09:32:07 PM »
It's impossible to identify the snowdrop from just this picture of the flower.  However of all the snowdrops species that might have this marking, Galanthus elwesii is the most common in cultivation.
Almost in Scotland.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 04:34:53 PM »
I lost label of this one, i received seeds from Tom Mitchell. I'm not a galantophile and not an expert in this genius.
North of France

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 11:45:00 PM »
I lost label of this one, i received seeds from Tom Mitchell. I'm not a galantophile and not an expert in this genius.

Almost impossible, Yann.  I imagine Tom Mitchell has access to seeds from every species going.  Your photos show neither than base of the leaves (clearly) which would give clues nor the mark on the inner petal, which would also give clues.  About all I can do is eliminate those species that have bright green leaves rather than the glaucous green of the picture. 
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal