We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rock plant  (Read 3223 times)

Michael

Rock plant
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:44:53 PM »
Hello!

Since this is a rock garden forum, and since i see and learn new alpine plant species almost every day, i found apropriate to introduce you one of my favourite and beloved plants that grows exclusively on rocks (at least on Nature  ;D), called Musschia aurea. I visited its natural habitat for the first time some time ago. The plant belongs to the family Campanulaceae, and the genus Musschia is endemic from Madeira only counting with 3 species. Unfortunately they are all in risk of extinction, because of the reduced area they occur and also because of the loss of their habitat (as usual  :( :( :( )

So here are the pictures:

Like i said before, they only grow in this type of rock on nature, and always on very exposed and extremely hot and dry cliffs. I never found them growing on the ground (perhaps because of the competition of other plants?). Another interesting fact is that this Musschia has very long roots that penetrate deep into the rock in search of water. In the other hand the roots are more brittle than cooked spagheti, and this makes repotting a nightmare, since they *hate* the roots being disturbed).

This is a picture of a young plant growing in a shadier condition:

And last, but not least, the flowers. They always flower around May, but i was lucky enough to spot one individual that had a few opened flowers. I am sorry for the pictures, but the plat was in an inaccessible area and a bit far, so i had to use all the zoom i could.

By the way, as a title of curiosity, plants pollinated by reptiles are a bit uncommon, and this one is another example of those cases, being pollinated by an endemic small reptile called Lacerta dugesii.

These last pictures of me were taken at the same place, so you can have an idea of the environment :)

I hope you liked the pictures!
Thanks for watching.

"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Rock plant
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 11:52:37 PM »
They really are cliff dwellers aren't they!!  Looking at teh face you'd think that nothing could grow there.  Isn't nature wonderful!!  :o 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 08:46:34 AM »
Hi Mike,
Thank you for this extraordinary pics! A friend told me something about this strange campanula relative a long time ago. I never saw good photographs of it.
I can't resist to ask you for another endemic plant from your Island.
Did you ever come along Viola paradoxa - a yellow flowering pansy, living at Pico do Arieiro? This is the most western occurence of violets from the section Melanium.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 10:31:30 AM »
Hi Mike,

What great pictures these are, I hope you didn't risk life and limb to get them.  Very interesting plants too, so unusual.  I've never seen them before.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 02:03:47 PM »
Thanks for this interesting introduction Michael !  Stunning how these little plants survive.  :o

On the other hand, did you really have to add these wonderful holliday-like pix of blue skies, wonderful shores and a chap wearing short sleaves, just at the time when all of us up here are suffering from hail, snow, cold winds, etc...  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 05:34:46 PM »
I do not know these plants at all and if I hadn't been told they are campanulaceae, I would have been thinking , because of those strange flowers, that they were a wierd bigeneric hybrid of some sort with Tricyrtis!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 07:46:55 PM »
Great pictures Michael, thanks for posting them.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Michael

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 08:57:43 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments

Hi Mike,
Thank you for this extraordinary pics! A friend told me something about this strange campanula relative a long time ago. I never saw good photographs of it.
I can't resist to ask you for another endemic plant from your Island.
Did you ever come along Viola paradoxa - a yellow flowering pansy, living at Pico do Arieiro? This is the most western occurence of violets from the section Melanium.

Gerd

Hi Gerd, yes i do know that Viola, but i had never seen in, because it lives on the highest peaks, like you said, and that's a little bit far from me. I guess it will be my next interest to hunt for it. Do you grow that species? I could see if i can find a way of getting some seeds for you, but i can't promise nothing by now, as i dont know if they are easy to find or not.
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 10:40:20 AM »

Mike,
No, I don't grow this species.
Thank you for your kind offer. But please, take care - I heared that it could be dangerous to climb in the area where this plant lives. Also it might be that it is protected. I add a scan out of Franquinho, L.O. and Da Costa, A. (1998): Madeira, Plantas e Flores -
here you'll find a pot grown plant (lowermost pic) - maybe cultivated in a Botanical Garden (Funchal?). Perhaps this a more accessible approach to the plant.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

iann

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 11:54:08 PM »
Good drainage!
near Manchester,  NW England, UK

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 09:41:37 AM »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal