We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pavlof ?  (Read 4050 times)

mickeymuc

Pavlof ?
« on: March 18, 2008, 09:32:19 PM »
Hi all,

Last year, I bought some pleiones, among them two P. "Pavlof". Well, I forgot how exactly the flowers looked like, ans a s I had some bad tags which lost their writing over the summer I'm not sure if the plant on the picture below might be this hybrid ? Another possibility would be "Aphrodite", but I don't really think it is this one.
As I was unable to find a photo of Pavlof - can any of you help me identify this pleione ?
Which, by the way, is much more beautiful and bright than can be seen from the picture, which I had to make in the dark with flashlight.
Thanks for any advice !

Best regards from Munich,

Michael
Michael

Dettingen (Erms), southwest Germany
probably zone 7 but warm in summer....

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
Re: Pavlof ?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 08:21:50 AM »
Hello Michael,

Welcome to the forum.

I cannot help with your identification but when the other pleione growers see this, hopefully they can help.
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

Danshi

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 02:30:34 PM »
Hi Michael,

your plant looks a lot like my Pleione Pavlof.

Greets also from Munich

Daniel

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 02:52:11 PM »
A warm welcome to you both, Michael and Daniel, good to have you join us in the Forum  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mickeymuc

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 04:23:39 PM »
Dear Maggie, dear Andrew,

Thanks for the very warm welcome !
I'm very happy I found this wonderful forum :-)

Dear Danshi,

Tanks for the ID, now I can write a proper tag. Is your plant also from Paul Christian ?
I'm really amazed, because I remember last year I was disappointed about the flowers of this cross being not-so-special, but this year I can say I like them a lot and think they are quite special....

Michael

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 05:54:24 PM »
May I add my welcome to Daniel and Andrew. Pavlof is one of those hybrids that I have never seen. One of the parents is P. limprichtii and the lip of your plants does have a look of limprichtii about it.
The change in the appearance of pleione flowers from year to year is something that has been mentioned before in this forum. Especially if it is the first time a bulb has flowered, this first time it may look quite different to how it will look on a larger bulb the following year. usually the surprises are nice!

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Danshi

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 06:40:39 PM »
Thanks for your welcome, everyone! :)

Michael: Yes, my plant is from Paul Christian. The picture is supposedly showing the plant's first flower. Unfortunately I (or some infection) killed quite a few of my Pleiones in 2007. Pavlof did survive, but it won't flower this year.

Paul: I was hoping for some more yellow, but after the flower opened, I was still quite satisfied with what I got. Pavlof seems to be vigorous, too. Maybe it will surprise me with a flower that lasts a bit longer next year.

Daniel

mickeymuc

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 04:36:13 PM »
Hey Paul, that's interesting, and it explains why this years' flowers are much more beautifol than last year's, although I don't manage to catch the "yellow" in the photos I made. This plants also seem to be strong growers, and even quite small pseudobulbs produce two flowers.
Paul Christian said for this re-cross some newly discovered, brighter yellow clone of forrestii had been used, thus it is possible that the original Pavlof is somewhat less yellow.
If no desasters happen this summer I can send you a bulb in autumn, if you're interested.

@ Danshi - sorry for your Pleiones, do you have an idea what had happened to them ? Well, I hope you get at least some flowers this  year...
Michael

Danshi

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 08:22:41 PM »
Hi Michael,

I think the substrate wasn't good, and the wet, cold May after the hot April didn't help either.
I do have some newly bought Pleiones that are flowering now and next year hopefully a lot of flowering sized formosanas.

Daniel

mickeymuc

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »
Okay, a bad substrate can easily kill them. I found last year was a surprisingly good year for pleiones, I think they liked the cool, wet summer and the long warm autumn. Still it's good you don't give up, these litle ones are such a delight in spring. Especially when you are stupid like me and use tags that lose their writing - I still have some "surprises" in bud of which I don't know what they might be....

Best regards from Munich !

Michael
Michael

lkelly

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 09:15:51 AM »
Especially when you are stupid like me and use tags that lose their writing - I still have some "surprises" in bud of which I don't know what they might be....

Easy done. I've still got some that are finally about to flower I got mixed up 3/4 years ago.

Labelled them as Shantung Ducat. Mixed them up in the off season. Turns out this year they are Rakata!

Rather pleased though as I had a "bad pot" with my other Rakata that killed most of them with a fungal infection. These ones were no where near and made golf ball sized bulbs last year. Two nice big fat buds on them at the moment. ;D

Hopefully your surprises will be as good Michael

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal