We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Large hardy gesneriads - to split or not?  (Read 3508 times)

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
Large hardy gesneriads - to split or not?
« on: March 15, 2017, 08:04:25 PM »
I have just inherited these 2 huge Ramondas, which I have never grown before. Would I be best to divide and repot, and if so when, or keep in the same pot and feed

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:40:23 PM by Maggi Young »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Large hardy gesneriads - to split or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 08:16:10 PM »
I'd be inclined to pray first Lawrence ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 10:11:07 PM »
Are they difficult David?

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 02:46:08 AM »
to me it looks to be a Haberlea and not a Ramonda .I find Haberlea easier to grow than R.amondas
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 06:44:23 AM »
I think you may be correct Otto - but how do I treat such big plants?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »
I'd try tidying up the old dead leaves first, to see how the plants look then. If they are still a bit too scruffy, then be brave and split them up. Then water well and keep out of any late frosts to recover.
And yes, Haberleas!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 08:11:31 PM »
Are they difficult David?

I'm probably the World's worst person to ask that question Lawrence. I've had an Haberlea for about eight years now and it has flowered once in all that time. It was around four years ago after a cold(ish) Winter and hasn't looked like flowering since. I used to have it in a planting pocket between a wall and a set of steps but thouight I should it give it a change and I now have it in an ericaceous  bed with Rhododendrons and Saxifraga fortunei cultivars. It hasn't died but I don't know if it is appreciating the change!

If it's any consolation mine looks scruffy as well-see picture below. You might have a search on the Forum, there is quite a lot about Haberlea.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 04:21:28 PM »
This Haberlea ferdinandi-coburgi thrives on neglect, it is also watered with our limey local water
when the rain water butts are empty.  Originally potted in peat(two dogs & a man don't look now)
it has been in this container for at least 15 years.
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 07:14:26 PM »
Wow Mike, that's really flowering. Yesterday I was surprised to see three flowers (not yet fully opened) on my plant and was pleased with them. I'd have been ecstatic if it had flowered like yours. I shall celebrate by giving it a sulphate of potash birthday cake!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

jomowi

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 10:28:26 PM »
I have only just found this topic.  Lawrence, if you don't have the courage to split the plant, you could remove one or two side crowns and grow them on independently without running the risk of harming the main plant.  If you separate the side crowns by cutting downwards with a sharp knife, they will most likely come away with some root attached, giving you a head start in getting them established.  To aid this, I would put the newly potted side crowns into a propagator to help reduce transpiration loss.  A little warmth would not go amiss either.  Now would be a good time to do it.
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal