We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Far from Grym!  (Read 5475 times)

colineddie1

Re: Far from Grym!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 07:24:45 PM »
Brian, I believe CC is always a small plant. I got the bulb 2013, now there is the real fine first flower.
Colineddie1, I'm only a hopeless kind of galanthophile. :)

Here is another fine BLONDE INGE-type, waiting for a suitable name

Golden Hagen  ;D
The proud owner of 4 cats that love to shovel bulbs around the garden for fun!!

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 08:23:26 AM »
Here is Hagen's DAS GELBE VOM EI from another thread.  How could I have forgotten that Hagen - I must be getting old ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 12:00:52 PM »
Very beautiful, Brian and Hagen. I have a garden full of snowdrops at the moment but nothing like any of these except for the tiny 'Blonde Inge' which came from Ann Borrill. These and Hagen's virescent-virescent snowdrops open up a whole new world to explore but methinks I shall have to be patient and look long to discover them!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 09:07:31 AM »
Good to see that Galanthus nivalis 'Das Gelbe vom Ei' was given a preliminary commendation by Joint Rock at Loughborough.  Congratulations Hagen ;D

http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/discussion/atshows//Loughborough+Show+th+March/19865/?page=3
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 09:15:41 AM by Brian Ellis »

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 12:02:55 PM »
Off topic, but I have often wondered what the process is of submitting a plant to the Joint Rock.  can anyone enlighten me?
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
"The Mysterious Joint Rock Committee"
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 09:41:50 PM »
........ I have often wondered what the process is of submitting a plant to the Joint Rock.  can anyone enlighten me?

I will try to help .... RE : "Joint Rock", the joint RHS, AGS, SRGC plant Committee.... here is a link ( below) an article : "The Mysterious Joint Rock Committee"  from the Rock Garden journal of the SRGC from 1990 by Lyn Bezzant (who was at that time the SRGC Secretary to the committee) This may be helpful to those who know little about it....

'The Mysterious Joint Rock Committee '   by Lyn Bezzant , article  from "The Rock Garden" -
    http://files.srgc.net/journals/TheMysteriousJointRockCommittee_LynBezzant.pdf

You can discover from the Show Schedules  those shows at which the Joint Rock will meet.  At those shows, plants which will be submitted to the committee are usually also entered in the show, though I believe that is not necessarily a prerequisite.  The show secretary will provide a form for you to fill in the details of your plant and there is also a card which tells the JRGPC secretary which class the plant is in, so it may be retrieved from the show bench to be taken to the committee room for assessment at the appointed time. Care is usually taken to keep the plants from the benches- and the viewing audience, for as short a time as possible. After the committee has reached its conclusions, a card stating that an award is pending will be placed with the plant, back on the show bench - that's in in a nutshell,  read Lyn's article- it is some years old and some minor changes have been made to the make up of what is still referred to as "joint rock" but  the article is still  relevant.  :)

The current Scottish Secretary of the committee is  Carole Bainbridge - also the SRGC President.

I'll give this it's own topic too, under "Shows"  for future reference.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:56:09 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 08:36:45 AM »
Thanks Maggi, that is most interesting, I'd always wondered too ;D

steve owen

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 10:19:42 AM »
Maggie

Could you check the link you gave please, it won't connect me.... Thanks,
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 10:32:17 AM »
Yes, Steve, the link has gone wrong but if you copy the bit as far as .pdf then paste into the web browser address bar it will work.

On a PC:
Highlight the text
Hold down the Control (Ctrl) key and press c to copy
Hold down the Control (Ctrl) key and press v to paste
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 10:57:44 AM »
Sorry, hadn't spotted that the link had been compromised in the text.  Thanks  for the advice to get round the error, Alan - fixed now.  and here it is again :

http://files.srgc.net/journals/TheMysteriousJointRockCommittee_LynBezzant.pdf

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 12:58:23 AM »
The article was very interesting as these organizations and awards are often referred to on the forum and in the Bishop book.  As someone on the outside looking in, I find it very confusing especially when acronyms are used.  Are all the awards mentioned in the article still in use and where does an AGM fit into the scheme?
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 10:15:20 AM »
You can read more about the AGM - Award of Garden Merit - on the RHS website.
In the past the various committees of the RHS could make that award when a plant was well-known to be og good constitution in a garden setting - but now such awards are made after trials in the likes of Wisley or Harlow Carr. Not ideal since the conditions there are not typical of all climates in the UK - which is where these awards are primarily aimed.
Over the last while "old" awards have been reviewed ( and then  confirmed or rescinded ) by circulation of lists to committees to vote for the best plants.  Preponderance of southern opinions  is, again, not always helpful to growers in  more rigorous climates!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
"The Mysterious Joint Rock Committee"
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 10:21:45 AM »
I have copied the last couple of posts- (Carolyn's and my reply to her ) to the relevant  thread on the main part of the forum :
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=12924.msg327404#msg327404

I would appreciate it if further comments on the matter were to be made there, since they are likely to be of interest  to a wider audience and not only to galanthophiles! :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal