We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: IRG March 2014  (Read 6865 times)

gerrit

IRG March 2014
« on: March 28, 2014, 10:59:01 AM »
It's already 4 months ago, I visited Argentina and wrote my article, which has published now.
In the mean time the members of the group did not stood still. We shared our pictures in a drop box and discussed our previous determination. And sometimes we had to admit, we were wrong. Not so strange, in a part of the world with so many different species.

We were  lucky to have Kok van Herk as a fellow travellar, a man with an incredible knowledge of plants and experience in South America.

So, below, some items I mentioned in the IRG, March 2014 with new names.

Senecio poeppigii

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:00:54 AM by gerrit »
Gerrit from the Netherlands
Gardener on the seabottom

gerrit

Re: IRG March 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 11:05:03 AM »
             434447-0                            434449-1

Anarthrophyllum strigulipetalum
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:47:03 PM by Maggi Young »

gerrit

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 11:12:25 AM »
          434453-0                           434451-1

Pozoa volcanica (not coriacea)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:19:11 AM by gerrit »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 03:48:42 PM »
Thank you for these corrections to your original determinations, Gerrit.

errata

page 8 Anarthrophyllum  desideratum   is    Anarthropyllum strigulipetalum

page 11 Pozoa coriacea  = Pozoa volcanica

page 12 Senecio   volckmannii   =   Senecio poeppigii
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 10:33:51 PM »
Two nice umbellifers there! Mulinum and Pozoa. Great pictures and plants. I tried growing some of these years ago from John Watson's seed with not a lot of success but a few flowered and there are still a smattering of alstroemerias and rhodophialas in the garden. Would love to grow Tropaeolum incisum! Many thanks Gerrit and Trond and if you are ever travelling to the UK it would be great to hear you speak about the trip. I have that last Junellia (a gift from Martin Sheader) in a trough and hope it might flower this summer...
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

astragalus

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »
Tim, lucky you to have even a smattering of Rhodophiala.  Personally, I'd love to be able to grow Mulinum spinosum and any Adesmia or Anarthrphyllum.  Of course you'll post a picture of your Junellia should it flower this year?
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »
I will Anne! At the moment it looks like a rather woody and slightly scruffy thyme so the flowers if they come will be a great treat. I don't remember ever seeing any of the adesmias in cultivation but they share with other alpine legumes a huge fascination - I've tried them from seed but no luck so far.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 09:19:47 PM »
Erratum!

I spotted a mix up in the right picture on page 20. The picture shows Junellia patagonica and not Jaborosa volkmannii.
I probably mixed the names when I sent the pictures to Maggi.

Maggi has anyway made a great product of the words and pictures I sent her!

Here are the right pictures: Jaborosa volkmannii and Junellia patagonica:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:24:19 PM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 09:31:10 PM »
Thank you Tim for your kind words!
I am sorry to say that I have no immediate plans for crossing the North Sea but who knows . . . .

Here are a few more of the Tropaeolum. The colours were variable.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:42:32 PM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 09:37:39 PM »
Erratum!

I spotted a mix up in the right picture on page 20. The picture shows Junellia patagonica and not Jaborosa volkmannii.
I probably mixed the names when I sent the pictures to Maggi.

Maggi has anyway made a great product of the words and pictures I sent her!

Here are the right pictures: Jaborosa volkmannii and Junellia patagonica:

Oops! Trond, I believe that mistake was mine - I apologise - I had flowers on the brain and clearly got muddled!       
I have posted this error and the correct photos to NARGS too.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:43:42 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 01:13:17 PM »
A selection of photos from Trond Høy which were not able to be used in the IRG 51 of March 2014 is now published as a supplement to that issue.  It can be downloaded from this link: http://files.srgc.net/journals/PhotoSupplementtoIRG51.pdf
Trond repeats his thanks to Kok van Herk for his assistance in checking the plant names.

The flora of South America continues to exercise a fascination among growers, as can be seen from the abundance of articles and books on the subject being published. The supplement lists some of the most recent of these books.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 04:00:06 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 01:22:17 PM »
You will have read in IRG 51 of Alejandra Maza, the botanical guide from Moquehue - it has been our pleasure for the SRGC to "meet" her through her twitter page and blog   8)
There are photo galleries and details of  tour guiding on her website

Alejandra

Mulinum spinosum- by Trond Hoy -  Alejandra is at right  in blue jacket
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:50:29 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
More from Alejanda Maza
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 10:19:15 PM »
Alejandra has been kind enough to send this information which I think will be of help to anyone interested in visiting South America to see the fine range of plants there.

She writes :  Here are the  biblography references I've added to my site, for field work in Patagonia.  In the article of the IRG  Trond & Gerrit wrote about the trip we did this last spring with the group of Ger van den Beuken.

This is to send the list, also to offer you the information Ican provide.

I have photographs of our flora, from  the steppe, forest and high mountain desserts in the north and south and  about 10.000 landscapes also. So if you need information I can share what is possible for me. Remember I'm not a biologist. I've studied tourism and also have qualifications as a trekking guide, and  as you know,  I am an amateur botanist.

All the information about natural resources, places, plants, outdoors and travel related to Patagonia from a guiding point of view, that's what I'm, and what with I can help. If its useful, you can ask me of course.

BARTHELEMY, Daniel; BRION, Cecilia; PUNTIERI, Javier. Plantas de la Patagonia- Plant of Patagonia.-1a ed.,Buenos Aires: Vazaquez Mazzini Editores, 2008. 240 p. ISBN 978-987-9132-17-3

ttp://www.vmeditores.com.ar/vm_publico/detalle.asp?id_titulo=17
have descriptions of the the biogeogeographical areas, species organized by families, include some common names and uses, great fotographs to id.

FERREYRA M.; CLAYTON S. & EZCURRA, C. Flores de Alta Montaña de los Andes Patagonicos, Editorial L.O.L.A., 2006, 239p. ISBN 950-9725-773
descriptions of the the biogeogeographical areas,. here all the mountain guides have it, Any person who goes should have
http://www.lola-online.com/

CHEVEZ, Juan Carlos. Guia de las reservas naturales de la Argentina: 2 Patagonia Austral. 1a ed. Buenos Aires : Albatros, 2005, v2, 192 p. ISBN   978-950-24-1057-9
http://www.albatros.com.ar/fichaLibro?bookId=687

CHEVEZ, Juan Carlos. Guia de las reservas naturales de la Argentina: 1 Patagonia Norte. 1a ed. Buenos Aires : Albatros, 2005, v2, 192 p. ISBN 978-950-24-1056-2
ight Albatros/Autor
http://www.albatros.com.ar/fichaLibro?bookId=681
These two books describe the protected areas and what is the importance of them. also a general description of coast, forest and steppe. Interesting to see wich places you should include in the itinerary if your interest is Nature.

GREEN, Lorraine; FERREYRA, Marcela. Flores de la Estepa Patagonica. 1a ed. Buenos Aires: Vazquez Mazzini Editores, 2012, 288p. ISBN 978987 9132 34-0
http://www.vmeditores.com.ar/vm_publico/detalle.asp?id_titulo=34
in this book you'll find a description of the steppe ambient, how the species are adapted to it, also the most representative are described.  this book  is a must.

RAPOPORT, Eduardo; LADIO, ANA; SANZ, Eduardo H. Plantas comestibles de la Patagonia Andina argentino-chilena. Parte I. Bariloche : Ediciones Imaginaria, 2005, 82 p. ISBN 98798557-6-0
in spanish. a little book with incredible botanical drawings, to see which plants can you eat in the wild

LITTLE, Hilary. Patagonian Mountain Flower Holidays. Alpine Garden Society. Somerset : Butler Tanner & Dennis, 2014, 288p. ISBN 978-0-900048-94-4

SHEADER, Martin. Flowers of the Patagonian Mountains. Alpine Garden Society. Somerset : Butler Tanner & Dennis, 2013, 320 p. ISBN 978-0-900048-89-0

VEGA, Santiago G. de la . Patagonia, las leyes de la alta montaña. Ilustrado CARRIZO, Gustavo R., 1a ed. Olivos : Contacto Silvestre Ediciones, 2007, 128 p. ISBN 978-987-21141-8-
http://www.contactosilvestre.com.ar/tapas/taltamont.htm
Also by the same author : Las leyes del Bosque, Las leyes de la Estepa. Interesting to understand in a simple way the infinite relationships between the multiple species and contition of each ambient. In spanish

ALONSO J, DESMARCHELLIER C. Plantas medicinales autóctonas de la Argentina. Bases científicas para su aplicación en atención primaria de salud. Buenos Aires: LOLA, 2005. 664 p. ISBN 950-9725-80-3.
For ethnobotanical uses, some species from patagonia are in this book. Was written by a Doctor in Medicine and a Biologist & dr in pharmacy and biochemistry. Also have chemical info. Was the gift  of the authors, C. Desmarchelier (we went to see some of them in the forest, when we finished he gave me the book and told me who was he!)

For eating and etnobotanical uses, just included these wich were written by  scientists and profesionals who work in our universities.
I've added the link of the editors for the books from Argentina.

Of course are others, but these are the essentials, in my opinion.

About maps I recommend these

Ruta 40 | 1: 500.000

Fitz Roy y Cerro Torre | 1:80.000

Glaciar Perito Moreno El Calafate | 1:250.000

Chalten y Alrededores | 1:125.000

Moquehue | 1:50.000

Villa Pehuenia | 1:75.000

Rio Pulmari | 1:75.000

Rio alumine |1:140.000

Lago Quillen | 1:75:000

Alumine Junin de los Andes | 1:250.000

I have the ones in green in small amounts because they are the cartography from my area- if anybody need Ican send them,  they were made by a friend, the cartographer behind Aoneker maps. The others if somebody need must see them the precise area in the kmz archive I've sent you.

Well, you'll see if this info is useful, and we're in contact. if you want we can skype
( amulei_caminatas) to give you more details, or anything I can help with, no problem.

Greetings from Patagonia!
Alejandra "

There is more on her website and as you see, Alejandra, who is now a member of the Forum, is happy to  make contact. :)

patagonia wildflowers

• Alejandra Maza
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 12:12:11 AM »
Thank you so much for posting it Maggie.

As the e-mail says, these books and maps are absolutely usefull. Thinking in a mountaneer way, it's not our CORREA M.N., Flora Patagonica, it's possible to carry them in a backpack if it's neccesary! .

Included a little description of the Argentinian books, Guess Flowersof the Patagonian Mountains & Patagonian Mountain Flower Holidays both are AGS books and easier to see them by yourselves in Europe.
Both perfect and  helpful for field work.

Excuse my english i always have mistakes, sometimes can't understand the meaning other write, in case you can't understand please, ask me  ;D!

Also is a great oportunity to send a hug to Trond & Gerrit, also to thank them  for writting about our trip!
greetings from Patagonia!
A.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:23:59 AM by patagonia wildflowers »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 02:55:44 PM »
More links for South American plants :

Instituto de Botánica Darwinion :  http://www2.darwin.edu.ar/

Flora Argentina http://www.floraargentina.edu.ar/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal