We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Helleborus thibetanus pest  (Read 8206 times)

jomowi

Re: Helleborus thibetanus pest
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 08:24:47 PM »
Looking at my H. thibetanus I also see damage.  It looks rather like birds to me, the alternative is mice or voles, we certainly get mice eating strange things like Brussel Sprouts in the winter.  Toxicity seems no problem since I have had mini Narcissus and Frit leaves grazed to the ground by field mice.  Invest in a mouse trap, some cheese and some chicken netting to keep the birds from the flowers and the traps.  I might also guess that the toxins are at low concentrations in the rather wet very early growth.

Brian Wilson  Aberdeen
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 12:35:52 AM »
Brian There were mouse traps but none caught nor any sign - my mice seem to be able to take the bait without getting caught for up to 3 times. I have covered in mesh doused in slug and bug killer. Next year I will start earlier with a preemptive strike on all fronts and see what happens
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Helleborus thibetanus slug damage
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 12:23:24 PM »
It's not that thibetanus is any less toxic than the other Helleborus, it is just that the critters know that it is more desirable and uncommon than the other ones that are around.  So they chose it just to be difficult.  It always seems to be the way.... if there is one super important thing they have this natural radar that picks it out of the crowd.  MY snails and slugs all know that the Weldenia candida is top priority to munch on, in fact they have literally crawled over snail bait to get to it! <sigh>

OK, so I'm sounding a tad paranoid.  But I am not paranoid because paranoia is when you THINK someone is out to get you when they actually AREN'T...... whereas I know that the snails ARE out to get me.  So, therefore I can't be just being paranoid!!!!!  ;D  Perfectly logical!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 12:37:15 PM »
Paul There is a saying I like
"Just because You are paranoid does not mean You are not followed"
A nice little thing to think about

Ian is the thibetansus earlier than the other Helleborus or in a different place? It can also be smaller and hence easier to eat or they (who ever that eats them) can be just evil >:)

Hope the measurements You have done has stopped the attacks
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
Paul I am sure you are right about the slugs predilection for the rare. I think there is a rule which says "Pest damage is in inverse proportion to the size of the plant and in a direct relationship with its rarity". Always when I have a single crocus the flower is removed from the stem by birds before it flowers whereas a good group seems to avoid attack.  ???

Joakin the other hellebore plants have not been affected as far as I can tell and are close by. Both Thibetanus are separated by about 50 metres but the attacks seem to be over. I am convinced that much of the damage is in the very early stages and what I see now is because of the enlargement of the bud. Pesky critters !!!!

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 01:48:56 PM »
Well, if You had Haggishus x hybridus to eat at breakfast, lunch and dinner, every single day, and saw a nice piece of Steakus thibetanus right under Your nose mouth, would You actually resist and pass by?
Critters (even scottish critters :P) probably appreciate some change in the menu, from time to time! Not that the rare is necessarily better than the usual, it just tastes different! ;D
Zephirine
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:51:38 PM by zephirine »
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 02:06:47 PM »
Zephirine you are so right. Given the choice between eating from a good delicatessen or tesco I know where most of us would go.
Not that there is anything wrong with tesco but we all like a change and a taste of the exotic when it is on offer and that is what we are offering the slugs when we bring in the rare plants.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 02:45:19 PM »
I think most critters (and even some humans) do many actions automatically. Having only some rudimentary brain power - the pests that is - having found something they like they will take a compass  bearing and return night after night climbing across often tastier morsels such as caviarus and smokus salmo trutta leaving all of the traps bait etc and leaving me scratching my head.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 06:15:16 PM »
we are forgetting about one hidden pest that will not come to any bait. The caterpillar of the Yellow Under-wing moth. It feeds at night
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 08:17:15 PM »
Mark, I thought, what is he on about.... so went a-googling to find info on said yellow underwing moth and discover that I am only TOO familiar with this caterpillar, i just did not know what type they were... know your enemy, as they say!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 09:38:47 PM »
yes the dreaded cut worm
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 12:14:10 AM »
Cutworm guilty or not guilty and will it stand up in court?? .

If you want to stop this creature my pest book suggests 2 chemicals both according to the net are Quote

"Banned in the UK, considered to have carcinogenicity and reproductive and developmental toxicity. It is a neurotoxin " NICE

jomowi

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 08:01:25 PM »
If you pause to think about it pests have very little fresh green material available at the end of December and the prospect of protein rich pollen and energy rich nectar must be quite attractive.  Do Grey Squirrels eat flowers? at this time of the year they are digging little holes in the ground to find food (if i don't manage to make little holes in them first) and are widespread in the UK.

Brian Wilson Aberdeen
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal