We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: cyps in pots 2013  (Read 31284 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: cyps in pots 2013
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 08:19:06 PM »
I have written to RHS Customer Services- enclosing photos of the pathetic little offerings.

Even if the plants were healthy, I think my friend would have difficulty growing on such babies and there is nothing in the RHS ad. to suggest how young the plants are and I believe that is vital for plants  like cyps which can hardly be expected to grow on like a plug plant of a sempervivum!
As can be seen from the growth rate possible from a 7 cm pot, as shown in Ian's photo above, I think it is possible that there will be many people being mislead as to what they might receive, as far as size and development are concerned and the dismal state of the plants is just not acceptable.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 08:27:58 PM »
The plants sold from the leaflets in the Garden have nothing to do with the RHS. Thats what I was told when I complained about poor quality Hepaticas several years ago.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 08:35:23 PM »
I don't care who supplied the darn things for sale - they were sold under the aegis of the RHS who are always keen to stress their superiority in all things horticultural and who should know better!

Edit :  ... and they arrived in a box with RHS label  and RHS tape all over it!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:46:28 PM by Maggi Young »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 08:45:56 PM »
Agreed, they can't abrogate their responsibility.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 12:21:42 AM »
Maggi

You have two routes

1The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 just notify them you want to send them back, you need to tell them that you want to send them baack this must be done within 7 days.

The  Sale of Goods Act 1979 14 (2) Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality. 

I would use route 2
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
Thanks Neil,  I am aware of the distance selling regulations, but I agree this is a case of the goods not being fit for purpose.
In posting the pictures here, I hope to save others from having the same problem.

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2013, 12:33:36 AM »
Don't know how I had already posted half of it so here is the rest

I would use route 2 personally as depending  on the RHS's T&Cs you may be liable for the cost of returning it under option 1.  Option 2 they are responsible or the return cost and replacement and as you have already complained it makes more sense.

Its amazing that if you quote this law (and it also applies in Scotland with some minor differences) and as they are not complying  with it you then you will go to Trading Standards, how quick a company will accept they are in the wrong.
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Botanica

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 07:37:32 PM »
Incredible ..This website present nice flowering cypripedium and when the customer see the result of 15 £ (In promotion ! ).. What a terrible view !

I have much nice young plant and i dont pay that ..I  bought around 200 young cypripedium and they are better than that.

Tomorow, i send you new photo of my youngs plants, I will soon have my first leaf and many cypri wake up (in indoor only).

At tomorow.

For good inspiration, look this link http://www.flickr.com/photos/duckuly/page143/

Botanica (CypriAddict)

Botanica

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 11:37:32 AM »

Picture of my young plant of cypri ..the first leaf grow !  ;D

Have a good day !

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »
John, you said it very well. Let's face it, those plants pictured will never make it.

Selling plants like that is irresponsible and gives the trade a bad name. When one supplier markets moribund cypripediums,  then everyone else is tarred with the same brush. :( :( :(
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Jeff Hutchings

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »
I would suggest the cyps were deflasked last spring and spent a not good first summer in pots. there have been a number of mail order companies selling this size at the price for some years. Indeed one outfit sent them out 3 in a 5 cm pot and when I emailed them said "they test grew all new plants"..... Yes, when it dies it does not help encourage the general gardener to grow them.

I gave up trying to grow newly deflasked cyps in my nursery some years ago because of all the problems.

This is the same with the way some of the garden centres were selling the big cypripediums last year. One garden centre asked a colleague of mine to make comments on why their plants appeared to be suffering. He said yes and was led into the tropical house!!!!!!

Jeff

angie

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 08:31:27 PM »
Wow Maggi. I am glad that I never saw the so called bargain.
So many people are going to be disappointed with their purchases.

I knocked some of my plants out of their pots today as I was a bit concerned about the amount of wet weather that we have been having. All is well and hopefully I will be able to get them to flower better than last year.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 08:46:23 PM »

This is the same with the way some of the garden centres were selling the big cypripediums last year. One garden centre asked a colleague of mine to make comments on why their plants appeared to be suffering. He said yes and was led into the tropical house!!!!!!

Jeff

I tried to buy some of the 'gone over' ones at my local garden centre and they had gone from the sales area. I asked where they were and was told they were being 'dried off for the winter'

I do not think I need to look for them this spring.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Botanica

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2013, 09:53:24 AM »
New buds growing ! Yes  8) ;)

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »
Hi, Botanica,
are you sure these are cypripediums? the shoots look very etiolated. Do you keep them quite dark?
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal