We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aroids (the family Araceae)  (Read 87654 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Aroids (the family Araceae)
« on: November 03, 2007, 03:56:33 AM »
Howdy All,

I figured there mightt be sufficient interest to make a topic of this for those who are into the Arum family.  I don't think I am doubling up on another thread somewhere am I?  If so, please let me know and I can post pics there.  Lots of Arisaemas, Pinellias, Dracunculus, Arums in flower, bud, or just finished here. 

To start the ball rolling.....

33930-0
This is the leaf of Pinellia cordata.  Very, very pretty leaf, best displayed in a pot so that you can see the leaf drooping down over the side.  Flower is much smaller (you can sort of see one in the top left of the pic) than P. tripartita and P. pedatissecta but relatively similar to P. ternata.  The leaf is the main thing to grow this species for, as it is very noticeable.  Let me know if there is interest in seeing other pics of the aroids I've had flowering this spring.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 03:58:30 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Aroids (the family Araceae)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 10:47:18 AM »
Yes please Paul. 
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

SueG

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 03:43:41 PM »
Please put them up
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 08:17:09 AM »
Ashley and Sue (and others who're reading),

Here's a  few of my aroids.  Not all of these have flowered this year (has been a hard spring and very dry here) so I've retrieved photos from previous years.  The Helicodicerus and Dracunculus are yet to flower this year, with the former already in bud and about to open and the latter still not quite sure whether it feels like it or not.  ::)  Hoping, hoping!!

Anyway, to the pics.....

I'll start with some Arisaema

34137-0
This wonderfully twisted flower is Arisaema ringens.  Very cool, from whichever angle you look at it.  This side shot shows how it twists in on itself.  This is in flower at the moment, and Yes it is that glossy.

34139-1
This is a darker flowered form of Arisaema triphyllum, which hasn't even surfaced for this year as yet.

34141-2
Arum hygrophyllum

34143-3
Arum orientale using a flash to show the colour intensity.

34145-4
This is a variegated (or "silver leaf") form of Arisaema amurense I think.  Very nice leaf to it, well worth growing for that reason alone.

34147-5
Dracunculus vulgaris is one of the aroids that stinks (unlike those I've posted above) and is in full bud right now and waiting to open.

34149-6
Helicodicerus muscivorus is supposed to stink most dreadfully but either mine don't, or else for some reason I can't actually smell it.  I have no problem smelling any of the other aroids stench, so I am guessing that for some reason mine just doesn't produce the pong like it "should".  The flies are still attracted, so there is something produced, but nothing much to my nose.  From how bad I have heard it should be I am rather glad it doesn't to be honest!!  ;D  Things like Arum dioscoridis and Typhonium brownii are quite bad enough thank you very much.

This is just a small selection of some of the species and genus that I grow.  Happy to post more if wanted, so if you have any requests let me know.  8)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 11:49:50 AM by Maggi Young »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 11:53:03 AM »
Keep it up, Paul!
 One of the resaons I like aroids ( in spite of the pong) is their almost infinite variety of leaf shapes and colours as well as the great flowers.....glossy, velvety... all  kinds of everything ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 01:58:39 PM »
Thanks very much Paul.  I'd certainly like to see any more you have. 

A. hygrophyllum also does well here and has no problem with Irish winters, but I don't grow any of the others  :( 
Although it's found in Lebanon & Syria do you (or anyone else) know whether its range extends across North Africa too?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

SueG

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 05:36:05 PM »
Paul
Do you grow any of the Biarums? I've a few but they are more holding onto life than looking happy, so I must change what I do I think.
Sue

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 05:50:20 PM »
Paul have you got a new camera?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 05:56:33 AM »
Sue,

Yep, I grow a few Biarums, not flowered all of them though only a couple.

Mark,

Not in more than a year (I think that's how long it was?).  Why?

I took a few more picsof Arisaema in flower today, but not uploaded as yet.  Still have a lot of pics around that I've never sorted and named properly, so I know there are other aroids in that lot that I haven't posted pics of here yet.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 04:32:48 AM »
I posted a couple of pics of Arisaema sikokianum on the Southern Hemisphere thread a few days ago and here are a few more. The sikokianums have all been broken off in today's very strong and cold wind. Dammit.

34489-0
For some reason A. ciliatum is both flowering without its leaf and has it's tail in the air instead of down the front. The leaf usually overtops the spathe and is made of a dozen or so leaflets. I love the elegant pinstriped look of this species. For comparison, here it is last year.
34491-1
Same plant in same pot, photographed in same place, just at a different time of day, hence the shadows in the second pic.

34493-2
Arisaema taiwanense also has a lovely leaf and drops of water are suspended from the threads on a damp day.
The stems are beautiful too and in this respect, every species is a little different.
34495-3

34497-4
I grew this from seed as A. sikokianum but it may be A. peninsulare. Not so spectacular as many but I like it very much especially with light through the spathe.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 04:39:10 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 07:28:20 AM »
Can I slip in a picture of the prettiest and most sweet smelling of all? It has just produced its first flowers of the season - I just LUV it! For the first time ever my plants decided to produce seeds last year (this is not really Arisaema country) and now I have a pot full of healthy seedlings to worry about  :) Arisaema candidissimum:
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 02:43:37 PM »
Thanks, Rogan for a sweetly scented one! Strangely,none of our Arisaema candidissimum flowered this year. No idea why... we'll see what happens next time. :-\

SueG

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 02:48:47 PM »
Mine too missed flowering this year - perhaps something was different last year?
Sue

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 02:51:03 PM »
That's interesting, Sue... can we blame the weather again?  Maybe its an esat coast phenomenon... any other comments from those of you with flowers?

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 06:55:24 PM »
Maggi,
Flowers of A. candidissimum here (near Cologne) as usual. Never had problems with this species.
Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal