We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A three week Galanthus Blog  (Read 53582 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
A three week Galanthus Blog
« on: February 07, 2011, 07:20:51 PM »
Following on from my little Madeira Blog a few weeks ago ( http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6401.0 ) it seemed a popular idea that I do similar for my Galanthus wanderings! :)  I'll start off this short blog off by mentioning that any thumbnail pictures can be clicked upon to view them in a larger form - I have chosen to embed them within my text to try and make things flow better   ;)

______________________________________________________________________________________

It's that time of year again where I find myself dashing from one end of the country to the other.  Last year I traveled from Hampshire to Aberdeenshire and stopped off at half a dozen counties on the way.  The hospitality of plants people and forum members is bloody brilliant.  8)  This year is going to be a completely new set of places - I wish I could visit all the wonderful places again from the previous years - but there are only so many weeks in a snowdrop season.   :-\     Maybe next year?.....   ;D

This years 'Galanthus season' started for me yesterday with forum members Art600 and Kentish_Lass coming to see my little collection.  I have been embarrassed to let anyone see my snowdrops before as my garden is tiny and it seems that 50% of the other people growing snowdrops have the odd half acre or three to display wonderful swathes of drops at their best!  Mine are all shoe horned into a 45ft x 17ft garden behind a run of the mill terrace house (if anyone wants to leave me an acre in their will it would be VERY gratefully accepted  :-*).  

Arthur and Jennie arrived at 10am for refreshments and an hours look round my garden to start our day.  I was expecting my 'grand tour' to take about 10 minutes but was pleasantly surprised when we realised that we had spent over an hour and there was still lots to see.

We had to leave my house at precisely 11.15 to drive over to Carolyn Millen's NGS open day that was starting at 12.00.  Arthur, organised as always, had things timed to perfection and we pulled up outside Spring Platt at 11.58.  Carolyn's enthusiasm for snowdrops is one shared by her daughter Julie and together they have been building up a wonderful collection of different Galanthus.  In the last few years they have become seriously interested in chipping their bulbs and there are countless frames with 1 year old, 2 year old and 3 year old chips coming along.  Some of the bulbs in the garden are in small numbers at present but seeing how many pots of 'babies' there are I think that in a couple of years there will be many fantastic clumps of some wonderful beauties.

Luckily for Carolyn it is not just her daughter that can help out in the garden, her husband John is very handy with a saw and hammer and has created some excellent raised beds to display the 'drops at a height they can be appreciated without getting wet knees (well, maybe Jennie's knees ended up just a bit damp  ;)).

264831-0

John has also built them, what reminded Jennie and I of a snowdrop take on an Auricula theatre.  John intends to extend this area by another sleepers length this year to give his wife and daughter even more space to show off their joint collection in a great way.

264833-1

As we wandered a few drops caught our attention, as is always the case! Firstly Reverend Hailstone - then I remembered that I had again been attracted to it the previous year in another garden and had talked myself out of acquiring one as to my mind "it wasn't different/special enough for my small garden" - but seeing it in the flesh once again it is a really nice big drop.   Should I?  Shouldn't I?....

Another flower that attracted mine and Jennie's eye was 'Fenstead End' - it looked like the flowers were going over but a wonderful dark dark green inside mark.

264835-2

I think 'Rogers Rough' is a lovely plant in my garden and it was great to see it looking just as happy in somewhere else's - such a good do'er.

264845-3

I'm always attracted to the yellows (and the green outered, and the fancies, and the spikies, and.....) and this was one I have not come across before - 'Windsor Yellow'.  I would be interested to compare it to other sandersii.

264837-4

It was so windy up on the Millen's hill that I was glad I remembered my hat.  Arthur had forgotten his!  Luckily, when we were starting to feel the cold we were tempted by the smell of Carolyn's homemade vegetable soup  (which was absolutely delicious - I'm salivating just typing about it! :P) and freshly cooked bread so we found a sheltered spot to hug our mugs of soup and thaw our fingers a little.  

A couple of more general shots including that wonderful view from their garden over the Weald of Kent.

264839-5

264841-6

264843-7

Arthur and Jennie returned to my house to finish looking at what I had in flower.  Imagine my surprise then when Jennie was studying my drops and pointed out that there was 'Fenstead End' - it was two non flowering bulbs that I had completely forgotten a very kind friend had sent me a few months earlier while they were dormant, I am very much looking forward to seeing them flower next year.  

Receiving yesterdays positive comments about my garden, and the extra bonus in that I managed to give away a few more pots of my surplus 'drops to my unsuspecting guests it turned out to be a thoroughly enjoyable day.  Unfortunately the next two days will not be quite as much fun as I must be in the London office!....   but then I head down to Devon for the next instalment of this short blog.....    ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:58:25 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
Re: A three week Galanthus Blog
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 07:33:31 PM »
Very good Idea
thanks for sharing

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

scatigaz

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
Brilliant. Cant wait for the next instalment.
gary lee

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »
Good to have the blog started, John, and I look forward to your reports and photographs on your journeys.

Your first garden visit report was interesting. The "auricula-gallery" approach to displaying snowdrops is certainly a new one to me and, to be honest, one I won't be imitating. Interesting to see what other people do all the same.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:17:34 PM »
Thank you John, for your story and the excellent pictures. Carolyn's garden looks especially attractive, wonderfully set out with the 'drops so well displayed. I envy her her lovely views too.

You'll show us yours as well please.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:23:23 PM »
John

I look forward to the next instalments and regret I will not be with you.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 10:56:24 PM »
Thanks for doing the decent thing John, a good start and we can't wait for the next colourful episode ;D

ps don't buy another G.Percy Picton  ::)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 11:07:20 PM »
Very good idea Kentgardener. I blundered my chance to come to GB this year, but you give us all a chance to have a look into  a great number of gardens and to meet galanthophile. And I have no problems wish the language ;).
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Sean Fox

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 03:45:30 PM »
Wonderful start John, really looking forward to the coming 3 weeks of instalments  :P
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 04:11:44 PM »
Excellent work John,keep it up
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Carolyn Millen

• Spring Platt Snowdrops
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 05:49:03 PM »
Thanks John and Jenny for all the nice remarks about Spring Platt.  Pity about the weather - it was so cold and if there had been some sun the snowdrops would have opened up more.
Julie and I are off to Yelverton to Matt Bishops Day on Thursday so may see some of you there.
Carolyn
All about my garden - http://kentsnowdrops.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 06:32:59 PM »
Hi Carolyn,

Good to have you with us. Your snowdrop beds are certainly a major work, more that I would do as I prefer them in the ground, but it does show them off well.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

steve owen

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 07:37:44 PM »
Carolyn

Maybe by the time you read this we will have met at Yelverton, but the photos suggest a seriously organised approach to snowdrop growing. Your post describes you as a "Newbie" but I would guess that you are far from a newbie as far as gardening is concerned. And three house-points to your husband for the civil engineering work. Narcissus fly is going to have to be pretty determined to get down through the gravel mulch.

Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 12:30:04 AM »
A great account of the day.  I look like I am paying obeisance to the snowdrops :D

Look forward to hearing about your galanthus gallivanting

Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 06:36:32 AM »
Well here I sit in Devon.  After a full day in the London office yesterday I travelled down to Exeter on a 3 hour train journey after work.  Jo Hynes very kindly met me from the rail station and drove me the 45 minutes to 'Cherubeer Gardens' where she lives with her lovely husband Tom.  Mark Smyth was already here, as he flew in Tuesday (and I am very jealous of the snowdrop day he and Jo had!.... :P) to give two talks about 'swifts' on Wednesday.  Alas it was completely dark when I got here so no photos for this entry in the blog - but as only I and the dog are awake at 6am I thought it a good opportunity to write an entry.

Jo prepared a fantastic evening meal for us and we then sat for a couple of hours pouring glasses of wine and pouring over a couple of copies of Galanthomania (or is that pawing over  ;)) exclaiming "ooh, look at this one on page **" or "I didn't know that about them".  Alas it was then time for bed as we have an 8am start today to take us to 'The Garden House' for the snowdrop day being hosted by Matt Bishop.

I know how everyone love pictures - so have dragged this one out, that I took in my own garden on Tuesday, just so there is a bit of colour in this blog posting.  'Lady Elphinstone'.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:39:38 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal