We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Starting Dactylohiza from seed  (Read 14793 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Starting Dactylohiza from seed
« on: June 09, 2007, 07:42:23 PM »
In February I sowed some Dactylhoriza seed from the SRGC Seed Exchange but have had nil germination. I sowed them mixed with dry sand on top of the grit topping over JI seed compost with added grit and left them outside open to the weather. I have to say that after they were sown it rained heavily on and off throught the rest of February. Could they have been too wet? Was it the wrong time of year to sow them? Any advice would be appreciated. I have plenty of seed left to have anothe go.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Starting Dactylohiza from seed
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 08:19:15 PM »
David The best thing to do is scatter your spare seed around some planted up troughs or some potted plants that sit outside and are not going to be repotted for a few years that is where we get most of our dactylohriza seedlings appearing.
It is a total waste of time to sow them in the way we sow other seeds - they never germinate.
For years I have cut off the seed heads and go around the troughs and other containers shaking the seed heads with good results.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 08:30:11 PM »
Thanks for that Ian, I will give it a try.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 11:13:02 PM »
Dactylorhiza spp., in common with all orchid seed, are best given sterile agar medium to be able to deliberately grow them from seed. If the seeds germinate in your garden you won't see any evidence for a couple of years as the seeds need to form a mutalistic association with a specific fungus. Only if the fungus is present in the soil will they germinate. In sterile medium there is no fungus, but soluble, organic nutrients (sugars and amino acids, not nitrates etc) provide the minute seeds with food.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 02:53:14 AM »
Only if the fungus is present in the soil will they germinate.

That's why the best results of all are from sowing the seed around Dactylorhiza plants already established, or at least round closely related species. Perhaps you could beg or buy a couple of pseudobulbs and then sow around those in a year or so.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 09:55:42 AM »
Thanks for that everyone. It leaves me with the conclusion that life's too short, so I shall move on to easier 'doers', consign my seeds to the dustbin, and buy a couple of plants when next I see any. ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 11:50:35 AM »
Probably the easier way, David ;)
All of ours have been brought in as plants. Some are bulking up nicely whilst others self seed to the extent of risking being called 'desirable weeds'!
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 01:42:39 PM »
I bought my first Dacts at the first discussion weekend I attended - the second Elgin. I  have two seedlings in the garden both with two leaves. One is in a nearby pot containing a dead Clematis. The other is in my peat bed
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

jomowi

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 07:40:53 PM »
Dac. seed is not like ordinary seed having no reserves and needing a fungal partner.  It will spend several years below ground.  I have had success scattering seed in the base of established plants like gentians  where they will not get disturbed.  Even then the success rate is minimal.  Great patience is the only hope or of course purchase some if you are not into agar culture

Brian Wilson Aberdeen
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Lauren

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 10:31:04 PM »
Hi everyone! I was just wondering, are Dactylohiza hard to grow from seed? I have never seen them available for sale here in Australia (unless I'm not looking hard enough?) but if I could get hold of some seed, if this is a viable option then I will try... I won't have to put them into sealed glass jars with Agar or anything will I? I have wanted this beautiful plant for years (especially after seeing the wonderful photos on Ian's Bulb log) and seeds may be my only way of getting them in my garden.

Thanks in advance,

Lauren
Lauren in Hobart, Tasmania

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 02:02:43 AM »
Lauren,

Can't help with the seed, but if it's just D. fuchsii you're after I can send you a plant or two - just pm me with an address. Other Dact's are around - you'd have seen a few up at Woodbank last weekend if you went - but I haven't seen them offered.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 08:06:21 AM »
It is not impossible but you need some insight and time.
There are many tips on the net.
I Suggest Googling.
http://www.ewetel.net/~frank.meissner2/Homepage/1155448.htm
is unfortunately in German but quite useful.
http://www.lidaforsgarden.com/Orchids/svenska.htm
is by a pioneer in the field and partly in English.
Good luck
Göte

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 08:20:02 AM »
Postscript
Try http://members.cox.net/ahicks51/osp/
as well
It is entirely in English
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Lauren

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 09:53:39 AM »
I actually didn't see the other post by Mark about growing Dactylohiza from seed, so I apologise for doubling up!

Edit by Maggi: I have combined the threads  :)

Thank you VERY much for the offer Rob! I am not familiar with that particular species (or any species for that matter) I just love the gorgeous magenta colouring. I will try to send you a private message when I work out how.

As for those links, it does look rather complex on those websites... Cliff & Carlo's methods sound pretty good to me.

Thanks everyone!

Lauren
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:36:37 AM by Maggi Young »
Lauren in Hobart, Tasmania

DavMac

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 07:06:18 PM »
In the Winter 2006 issue of the Alpine Garden Club of British Columbia Bulletin http://www.agc-bc.ca/bulletin.asp there is an interesting article on germinating orchid seed on cardboard. I haven't had a chance to try it myself but I have seen it used for germinating Dactylorhiza seed last year and they were doing well after the first season. I'm not sure if they have been pricked out this season but hopefully I will find out in January.

David
David McConachie, Korokoro, New Zealand

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal