We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2009 (Northern Hemisphere).  (Read 13358 times)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
Re: November 2009 (Northern Hemisphere).
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2009, 06:24:30 PM »
Thanks Robin,

the same flower in the beginning of this year looked quite different  ??? :

Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2009, 06:44:55 PM »
It's a lovely little early light centred Alpine Auricula Wim but regretfully not 'Argus' :(  Here is the description for Argus from the late Mary Robinson's book 'Auriculas for Everyone'

"An excellent white centred variety, in shades of crimson red. It was bred around 1890 by J J Keen of Southampton, England and still wins top prizes when well grown."
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2009, 06:49:52 PM »
It's a lovely little early light centred Alpine Auricula Wim but regretfully not 'Argus' :(  Here is the description for Argus from the late Mary Robinson's book 'Auriculas for Everyone'

"An excellent white centred variety, in shades of crimson red. It was bred around 1890 by J J Keen of Southampton, England and still wins top prizes when well grown."

No that's no crimson red ;D I bought it like that a couple of years ago... I'll check where it came from.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2009, 07:02:57 PM »

Simon should it be short

Unfortunately short isn't an age thing in humans. I haven't grown a cm in 55 years and am still short. :'(

Lesley, I'm sorry to tell you this but:

According to the U.S. national library of medicine:
"People typically lose about 1 cm (0.4 inches) every 10 years after age 40. Height loss is even greater after 70 years old. In total, you may lose 2.5 cm to 7.5 cm (1 to 3 inches) in height as you age."

Good news Wim!  By the time I'm 90 I should be able to water under the bench with ease.  ;D

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2009, 07:06:36 PM »

Simon should it be short

Unfortunately short isn't an age thing in humans. I haven't grown a cm in 55 years and am still short. :'(

"People typically lose about 1 cm (0.4 inches) every 10 years after age 40. Height loss is even greater after 70 years old. In total, you may lose 2.5 cm to 7.5 cm (1 to 3 inches) in height as you age."

Good news Wim!  By the time I'm 90 I should be able to water under the bench with ease.  ;D

johnw

LOL  :D
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2009, 07:27:29 PM »
More unexpected late/ early flowers here too
Asphodelus acaulis has become huge after recent rains and is now flowering again.
Venidium 'Zulu Prince' is still flowering despite a week's worth of frosty mornings.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2009, 07:37:17 PM »
Wim, I will have a look through my pictures of my Auriculas and see what I have that might look similar to your plant and post them. Problem is I only took them off my hard drive last week and for the life of me I can't find the CD I transferred them all to.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »

Simon should it be short

johnw

... and I'll be able to walk under the bench to do it ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2009, 07:45:49 PM »
oh well, nothing like a good stir.......( ;D)
(it was micropropagated at one time, and I think this might have resulted in alot of atypical plants being circulated)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2009, 11:33:36 PM »
Wim I was about to remark that you had totally wrecked my day but after reading John's post, I see my attitude is all wrong. I'll think of the future in this way, I'll be able to walk under the table when something rolls and comes to rest there, instead of getting down on my arthritic knees. There has to be an upside to aging. :-\
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2009, 08:15:43 AM »
Wim I was about to remark that you had totally wrecked my day but after reading John's post, I see my attitude is all wrong. I'll think of the future in this way, I'll be able to walk under the table when something rolls and comes to rest there, instead of getting down on my arthritic knees. There has to be an upside to aging. :-\

Lesley,

there's an upside to anything, even aging :-\ (when I get there, I'll tell you).

And since I'm an archaeologist I cannot do anything else than quote Agatha Christie on the topic of aging: "There is this about being married to an archaeologist. The older you get, the more interesting you become."  ;)
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2009, 07:03:20 PM »
Yesterday we had a wonderful quiet sunny day here, good for some pictures.
(Now we enjoy some remainders of the depressions coming over from S. England  ::) ::) :(  )

Prunus Pandora 1               
Prunus Pandora cl.     
Althaea                     
Calendula suffruticosa
   halfhardy and flowering almost all year)           
Cotoneaster                     
Hydrangea Annabelle               
Hydrangea Annabelle cl.             
Liquidambar         
Rhaphiolepis umbellata 
and on the raised bed a good looking cushion:
Minuartia

Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2009, 10:16:26 PM »
A lovely sentiment Wim. I'll hold on to it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2009, 03:20:13 PM »
Wisley:
Massonia jasminiflora
Massonia pustulata
Ornithogalum
Erigeron aureus 'Canary Bird'

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2009, 03:23:15 PM »
still alpines:
Petrocosmea rossettifolia
Pelargonium triste
Ranunculus calandrinioides
Rock Garden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal