We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Allium 2008  (Read 10721 times)

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
Re: Allium 2008
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 09:07:32 PM »
Oleg,

Thanks for the reply. I was wonder because Chen Yi has sent something under Allium cyathoprum (misspelling intended) that at least one person has called ericetorum. For those that may have this plant with greyish-green leaves and a late summer flowering of ivory or creamy white it keys to A. maowanense, excepting a few very minor details.

Now I must say that I doubt your Allium canadense, especially if it is flowering now. A.canadense and var. lavendulare should flower in mid-late May, var mobilense (arenicola, mutabile, etc) flowers in early-mid May, var. fraseri (a species in its own right IMHO) should flower in late April to early early May.

Mine are all dormant now and will put up new leaves in October or early November.

Below are photos of A.c.var. lavendulare from eastern Kansas.

And another from Chen Yi that I have yet to key out, but I have been told it looks like saxatile which should be conspecific with globosum, which I have from either Georgia or the Ukraine, and looks nothing like it.

Aaron Floden
 Knoxville, TN
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 01:18:57 PM »
Athur,
Both alliums are quite obedient and as they are late summer-autumn flowering don't have enough time to produce seed. Look at the picture of a 10 years old clump below. However, I have some which are invasive producing numerous bulbils on their flowerhead or selfseeding freely. So far I have managed to control them burning bulbils (still have some sporadic germination). I recon in this climate it is easier to control them than in warmer parts.
Aaron,
Thanks for ideas of A. canadense. I have long suspected something wrong with the name (taking into account its late flowering). I received it 10 years ago as A.c. var. fraseri. Any thoughts of what it can be? A ssp. of A.tuberosum?
As for A.saxatile & globosum, John Bryan in his "Bulbs" considers them synonims. But people here think they are different. I posted a picture of my A.globosum from the Caucasus here (post of August,6). Unfortunately have faild with A.saxatile from the same source. Now no chance to compare them. This year I received A.g.ssp.psebaicum. Hope to see its flowers next year
in Moscow

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2008, 10:21:37 AM »
Allium tardiflorum starts to bloom now. It is  a very rare species growing only in two sites on Mt. Carmel.
It is closely related [ if not the same Sp. , o.p.]to Allium tardans from Cyprus, Greece and Turkey.
It is fast to set seeds that will germinate immediately after the first rains
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 10:32:11 AM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2008, 03:10:16 PM »
Blooming since the end of november (very early this year) Allium chamaemoly is always here for Christmas, not gorgeous plant but finely hairy leaves and little ornithogalum looking flowers 1cm above the ground only. I like that species for sandy soil
do

Pontoux France

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2008, 09:09:38 PM »
Dominique

beautiful , from where it comes?
Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2008, 06:48:13 AM »
From Italy
do

Pontoux France

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2009, 12:27:41 AM »
I suppose this can go here as it started flowering in December:
Allium saxatile,
98584-0

98586-1
for some reason this is on our "prohibited list" so we can't import seed of it. I grew it from live plants bought through mail-order. It does seed around a bit.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal